Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Since you didn't put down your ship and sailing date, I did a little search, are you booked on Nordam May 19th? If so, you're getting really close to your sailing and will have very few options for changing ships for a similar sailing on another line. Do you have travel insurance to cover the loss on hotel and airfare if you have to change the date? I'm not even sure the cruiselines age policy and them not notifying you of the requirement would be covered by the terms of most insurance coverage. Hopefully you'll hear from the Holland Rep with a quick sollution. If not, don't delay, cancell the sailing and get the refund started. Look for alternate dates and ships that still have availability or have you T/A do it or both. You're up against a real time crunch if you're on the sailing I think you're on. I'll see if there is something similar you can look at and get back. Also check on any penalties that would apply to your hotel and air for making changes.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 PM

After digging a little deeper, Carnival, HAL and Windstar all have the same rules for everyone being 21 or over unless someone in the cabin is 25 or over. Carnival makes exceptions for married couples, HAL and Windstar do not.

There are very few options for the Med the second half of May except HAL. There are a few Seabourn sailings but that would not be anywhere near in line for pricing. There is one Princess sailing on Grand Princess on May 30th still open but it's from London. HAL is the only line leaving Rome (Civitavecchia) during that time frame for the Med.

There are a couple of late May sailings doing Northern Europe but again, not on your date or from Rome with anyone but HAL. Azamara Journey 14 days from Barcelona May 23rd might be an option. You could still use you air and hotel, you'd just need to add some nights and get a Euro-Pass for the rail system to commute before and after the sailing to/from Rome. I hope you and your agent find a workable sollution through HAL but I wouldn't count on it. They don't make exceptions in policy, even when its an emergency or an error on thier part. At least that's been my experience.

I had them drop the ball recently on a booking, they posted a payment to the wrong booking inside a group. The booking they failed to post it to auto cancelled and they were unwilling to take any responsibility for their own doccumented error and fix the situation. Fortunately it was able to be corrected at great expense to the travel agency and agent involved. The client was happy, they got an unexpected suite (the only cabins left when the error was discovered) from an inside cabin booking. Hopefully there is a solution that will work. Congrats on your wedding anyway!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I am amazed at what I'm reading! I believe in following rules; but this rule is beyond belief. And as Dave says, even more amazing is that it got to this point before anybody noticed.

My congratulations to the young couple, and my deepest sympathy for this unbelievable situation.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
even more amazing is that it got to this point before anybody noticed.
Yes, this is quite disturbing. And how silly to use a rule which was meant to discourage college kid partying against a legitimate married couple.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM

WE ARE GOING ON OUR CRUISE!!!!!

My travel agent drove over to tell me the news, because she was so excited and couldnít do it over the phone. She had got a call from her HAL rep at 8AM, 6AM Seattle time, who had been pushing this case with Holland America.

The HAL repís name was Alicia and I want to give a big thanks to her for really sticking it out for us. I know she had to reopen our case and go above and beyond to find someone who would listen. She said she got a call at 1AM from her director who was told that we would be allowed to board. I am so excited!!!

I canít thank all of you enough, who kept posting all day yesterday and last night. There was so little hope because HAL had faxed over our cancellation notice yesterday afternoon and were only going to refund $400. But you guys kept talking and spurring debate on this arbitrary age requirement rule of being 25. I know they were listening to all of us, even if they didnít say so.

If we had gotten no response by this afternoon, I had planned to start using all of your great ideas out there. Iím just so happy it didnít have to make it to that stage. Iíve been on three HAL cruises with my family and always considered there service the best. That is why I selected them for my honeymoon. Iím so glad they didnít let me down.

Alicia said it had made her day being able to come in to work early and make that call. It is her birthday too, so an extra Happy Birthday to you and a big thanks from us Alicia. Enjoy the flowers!

And thanks again everyone for your support, ideas, and help in this matter!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:46 AM

That is wonderful news, congratulations on your wedding and on your honeymoon cruise! May you and your new wife's lives be blessed and hope to see you on many cruises in the near future
Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Great news! This also is a great advocate to why people should book with a TA. They will act on your behalf when problems occur.
Best Wishes.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

I am so happy for you! But don't forget to have something in writing from HAL approving the cruise, and make sure you have it with you in Rome.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Great news and very happy to hear it! Have a wonderful vacation and do as Dave suggests and get it in writing. One way to confirm they have cleared all the road blocks is to go ahead and do your online check-in. that way you'll be able to print your boarding pass confirming there won't be issues with staff at the pier. Congrats!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm so happy for you; and so glad HAL decided to do the right thing. Congratulations again, and have an amazing honeymoon--I know it will be.

Closed Thread

Tags
age, ages, america, cruise, cruises, deny, holland, honeymooners, people, policy, requirement, requirements, reviews, senior, ships, wedding