Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Anyone,
I booked a 20 day Mediterranean Cruise with Holland America back in February for my Honeymoon. My wedding is May 22 and the ship leaves May 29. I am 23 and my new bride to be is 20. I have paid for everything already, the airlines, hotel in Rome, and cruise.

However, they have just informed me that they are not going to let us sale because Kelly, my wife, is too young. We are 2 weeks away from our wedding!!! They didn't inform me of this before, nor do they say anything on their website. On other websites, age requirements are waived for married couples if they are both over 18 and can show proof of marriage.

What should I do???

Can you please advise or help???

Thanks in advance!

-Austin
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Here is a link to their requirements. It states that guests under 21 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 25 years old. Since she is not a minor, you might be ok. I'd call HAL directly, speak with a supervisor and see what they can do.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 PM

I have talked with them and they are saying absolutely no way we can board because she doesn't turn 21 until October and I am only 23.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Are you going to get all of your cruise fare refunded?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Or if nothing else, can they transfer your reservations until October when she will be 21? They should have told you up front and if they didn't ask your ages when you booked, they should have let you know before now. Did you book through a travel agent? Did you get cruise insurance?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM

They said they would refund our money, but it puts us in a terrible bind with only 2 weeks until the wedding. The plane tickets & hotel in Rome are already paid for, so we are limited on what to do.
If HAL is going to deny young honeymooners from boarding, they need to at least advertise it or say something about that on their website.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Did you book this directly with HAL or through an agent? Regardless, the booking shouldn't have gone through is the ages were not in line with the rules.

But beyond getting all your money back, you have no options with HAL. It is obvious HAL is not going to let you board the ship. All I can say is look at booking with another cruise line and making some adjustments in your plans.

As an aside, I have to say that a 20-day cruise on Holland America is a curious choice for people 23 and 20 years old. HAL typically attracts an older clientele anyway, and any cruise that is 3 weeks long will be mostly "older" people regardless of the cruise line.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If HAL is going to deny young honeymooners from boarding, they need to at least advertise it or say something about that on their website.
Well, it does, although not specifically saying anything about young married people. They simply say nobody under X years, yada yada yada.

What concerns me is that this should have been flagged when the booking was first made.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM

I booked this through a travel agency, and they are equally devastated. Their Holland America rep is also floored by this and is working to try and get this changed. Our travel agent has been on several HAL cruises with her husband when they were underage and there was never any problem because they were married.
I understand I might have to make some changes, but it doesn't change how angry I am and if there is a small chance something can be done. I have saved for over 2 years to go on this cruise and take that much time off of work. I don't think that should matter though; its the principle that a young married couple can't go on a cruise because one of them hasn't turned 21 yet.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm with Dave, there are other cruise lines that sail from Rome. I'd be call ing them and seeing if they will let a married couple sail on their ships. Don't waste airfare and hotels.
Act quickly though.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
age, ages, america, cruise, cruises, deny, holland, honeymooners, people, policy, requirement, requirements, reviews, senior, ships, wedding