Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   HAL Sea Of Cortez ?s Copper Canyon? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/21418-hal-sea-cortez-s-copper-canyon.html)

RMLincoln 03-12-2008 05:51 PM

We just reserved a Sea of Cortez HAL cruise on Ryndam for April 5th. Got a great deal on a last-minute type reservation, so no research done! Anybody have any experience on this cruise? We reserved the extended shore excursion into Copper Canyon (18 hrs and almost as expensive as the cruise)...Anybody been on it and have some tips for us?

f-mattox 03-12-2008 09:21 PM

Boy, that really was last minute. I have not done it personally but a few people I know who have raved about it--the ship and Copper Canyon. It is definitely on my radar.

Have a great cruise and please let us know what you think.

Rick

penny3333 03-13-2008 07:16 AM

Congratulations on a great deal! Did you see the 8 day train for $995/pp? Does this 18 hour excursion take you to Divisadero or Chihuahua City? I am assuming you spend a night somewhere? It sounds fantastic.

RMLincoln 03-13-2008 09:47 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Rick and Penny.

From the shore excursion blurb on the HAL website it says the tour goes to Posadas Barrancas, it is not overnight; it leaves at 5:30 am and returns 18 hours later with a boxed meal breakfast and afternoon snack. A luncheon is served at the train endpoint mountain town and there to be is a folk dancing presentation also. It's a long day and an expensive excursion but it is the only way we thought we'd get to see Copper Canyon. So "In for a penny, in for a pound."

I hope somebody who's done it can help us prepare, but even if not we'll go with a spirit of adventure...and let you know how it was!
m--

PS Rick, We haven't been on Ryndam, but last year we sailed her sister ship, Maasdam, 11 days eastern Caribbean. The ship was elegant and very comfortable and friendly. If the folks you know found Copper Canyon something to rave about as being on par with raving about the ship, I'll assume we've made an excellent choice.

Any guidance on parking in San Diego?...oh I guess I should ask on the ports page. oops.

jmcs 03-15-2008 07:36 AM

A couple of months ago I read the most intriguing write-up in the newspaper about the Copper Canyon tour, but I am afraid that an 18 hour tour is too much for me. I would be too exhausted to appreciate it. For those with more stamina I think it would be an incredible tour.

LisaP 03-15-2008 07:54 AM

I recall seeing that too, jmcs. RMLincoln, I'll try to find it, and will post a link here if I do. We've thought about the same cruise. We were so enchanted with the Mexican Riviera when we cruised the standard itinerary that we've wanted to go back and also cruise the Sea of Cortez. We'll be on Ryndam later this year, but a different itinerary.

LisaP 03-16-2008 05:22 PM

My apologies, RMLincoln. I tried searching for the article I recalled previously, and could not find it. I wonder if it was from one of my subscription publications that is not online.

LisaP

RMLincoln 03-17-2008 02:36 PM

Thanks for trying Lisa. I'll let you all know how it goes. m--
http://www.cruiseclocks.com/ticker/2...215/ticker.png
Free Cruise Clocks

gdjoslin 03-18-2008 10:44 AM

We have some friends that did this Cruise. The loved most of it. The only thing they did not like was the Copper Canyon Tour. They said it was way too long, uncomfortable, and boring.
We general agree with this people on most things, but I will probably do the Canyon when and if we do the cruise.

penny3333 03-18-2008 11:01 AM

I saw something on the Travel Channel, I believe, about Copper Canyon. I would think it would be a long journey, however, I enjoy scenery. It looked magnificent and I've always wondered how the towns get started in the middle of nowhere. You'll have to let us know how it went when you return.