Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 PM

do all the HAL ships now have this? Of more importance to me does the Volendam? we are taking her out of Vancouver in July.
That style of dining might suit us for that cruise. Is it both early and late? We usually eat early.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
According to the HAL website, AYW dining is now available on all ships. It should be in the lower dining room, with the upper reserved for early/main assigned dining. AWY dining seating is 5:15 - 9:00. It wasn't available my last HAL cruise in 2006, so I can't tell you how well it's working. We've reserved early "traditional" for our next cruise - - only 360 more days to go.....
Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM

I think I know, but just how does AYW dinning work.
Also how is the dress code? They relaxed the dress code on carnival quiet a bit.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
It's HAL - - - I would presume "standard" dining room apparel... no need for suits on non-formal nights, but nice restaurant clothes... I don't know that I've ever - in 4 HAL cruises - seen anyone in jeans in the dining room for dinner. Women in crop and capri pants, men in khakis and polo/hawaain shirts, men in sneakers but not sandals... you get the picture. Our one and only "Freestyle" experience was on our NCL Hawaai cruise 4 years ago. It's nice not having to worry about making it to dinner on time, but I didn't like always getting into dinner late (we're early dinner eaters at home). And although we never were rushed after being seated - we did feel the rush of the constant bussing and setting up of tables for the next group waiting to get in . . . You'll find lots of posts from people who wouldn't dine any other way. The best way to find out if you like it, is to try it. I understand that if you find you don't like it, you can inquire as to moving to assigned dining. It's nice to have the option.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 PM

I don't wear short or jeans in the Dining room. However in 2007 on the Zaandam (Alaska) there were those who wore jeans all the time. I think a suit jacket was required at night. We are going to be gone for a few weeks before the cruise and a week after. For that reason if I could get by with out a suit jacket I would do it on this cruise.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Gary: Just saw you are from Yosemite CAL!!!We're planning a trip there in 2009 or 2010 would love to email you and ask you info on CAL since we're from FL and no nothing about the area...
Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 AM

I will send you an PM with my email address. Will be glad to help out any way I can. I think there are a few of us from California on the board. I know of at least one from Southern ca.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by gdjoslin:
I think I know, but just how does AYW dinning work.
Also how is the dress code? They relaxed the dress code on carnival quiet a bit.
We were on Ryndam in Alaska just three long months ago. We had traditional seating, but there was information about AYWD in our cabin in case we wanted to change.

The way it works, according to the letter we received (yes, I'm a packrat when it comes to my cruises) is that AWY diners can either make reservations day-by-day, or just show up. As susanmaz stated, the lower level is used for AYWD. You can make reservations for the main dining room by phone (# will be provided) -- on our cruise, you could call this number between 8:00 and 4:00 that day. Or, you can just show up to the lower level between 5:15 pm and 9:00 pm.

HAL has also relaxed the dress code somewhat, but on HAL that still means at least a jacket on formal night. But, a golf shirt (or any shirt with collar) and khakis will be fine on non-formal nights.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks Lisa.
I was surprised when were on the Carnival Pride a few weeks ago. Dress code was relaxed a lot. Dress short were ok on non formal night. On formal nights slacks and a nice shirt was ok. I did see them turn away shorts on formal night, and cutoff on the other night.
Now to finish booking excursions!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 AM
We just returned from the Eurodam. We had anytime seating and we never made a reservation. We just walked up and were seated right away. Other than formal night it is casual but NO shorts. My brother-in-law tried that one and was sent back to his cabin to put on pants. I tried to warn him! Also on formal nights I found on this HAL ship more people were dressed up than any other cruiseline. I would say that 60% of men wore tuxedos, 35% wore suits and 5% shirt and tie.

Closed Thread