Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 03:19 AM

Dave does your insurance in the US cover the airlift cost or do you have to pay those yourself
Old 01-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Our regular health insurance? In my case it did cover the medevac helicopter. However many policies will not pay a penny for it.

As far as emergency evacuation from another country, I think my health insurance would pay part of it but with a greatly reduced maximum.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Gee I think I would hate to get a bill like that!!
We are currently bitching about the fact that our normal Medical Coverage (% of our total earnings)is going up again but I guess when one sees these bills and knows it is all covered if one needs it.....(at home - for travelling we require addtional coverage) Whew that puts a few things in to perspective again...

I think most people underestimate the cost of such services all they can see are the 100 - 300 dollar /euros for something they might not need BUT wait till thoughs bills start rolling in - boy will you be glad to ba able to pass them on to some insurance.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Part of the problem - at least in my area - is that the helicopter is often called when it really isn't needed and a regular ambulance would be fine. I was told this by one of the crew members of the medflight. Of course, they have no choice but to get in the air when the call comes in and when the call comes they have to charge their fee. Since many insurers do not cover it, the medflight often gets stiffed on the bill and they turn it over to a collection agency to get whatever they can. This is another reason why they charge so much - hoping to make up for lost income by essentially making those who are covered pay for those who are not or cannot pay.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:03 PM

We just finished researching Travel Insurance to protect our upcoming Mediterranean cruise on the Veendam. CSA met all our needs at a very reasonable cost. Check them out: www.csatravelprotection.com Happy/healthy cruising, NY Cruisers

Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, travel