Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 05:55 PM
As novice cruisers we are dummies when it comes to much of this stuff. Is travel insurance necessary? Suggested? Is one company better than another or are they all about the same?

I would really appreciate any information/suggestions/experiences that anyone could give me on this. We are going in July 2007, but I am trying to get as much of this out of the way now as I can.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:20 PM
The best answer I can give, mickeyd, is it depends. If you can absord the loss of a last minute cancellation--no. If you travel light, not a lot of expensive cameras and jewely--no. If it's a short cruise with little or no air travel--no. If everyone in your party is fairly young and in reasonably good health--no. If you are taking your whole family, including your 91 year old mother from L.A. to Denmark for a Scandinavian cruise--by all means.
I feel about travel insurance the way I feel about insurance in general--I insure for the loss I couldn't or wouldn't want to absord.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 PM

Travel insurance is always highly recommended. Depending on which type of policy you purchase, it can cover you for more than just medical emergencies before your trip. It can cover trip delays, and reimbursement for lost luggage. If something happens on your trip it can provide medical evacuation. Heart attacks and strokes know no age. No one knows when an emergency will happen. You could be on your way to the airport and be in an accident. To compare different insurance companies and what they cover look at www.insuremytrip.com
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the link. Would you recommend any company over any other?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Administrator

We've bought Travel Guard and TravelEx and found their rates and coverage to be very competitive. Travel Insured is also highly regarded. I always go to the insuremytrip link Cruise Fanatic provided. It is a great place to compare.

Here is a link to an excellent article about insurance written by our very own Tom Ogg.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:27 PM

We took out insurance for the first time on our cruise (12/6 - 12/22) from Valparaiso to Rio primarily to provide emergency medical evacuation. The idea that something could happen at one of the most remote points on this earth (Ushuaia, Argentina), was the incentive. It was cheap peace of mind!

Hope for the best but plan for the worst!

Old 12-27-2006, 06:17 PM

The recent snow storm in Denver is another good example why you should buy insurance. The insurance would help pay for trip delay.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 AM

You know when you will regret not having spent those few bucks?? When things go wrong and you need help - medical help on ships can cost an arm and a leg and wait till you need to be airlifted...... Things like this are not in your control so you cannot say nothing is going to happen!

The best advise anyone can give you is GET INSURANCE - at the very least medical coverage!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the link to Tom's article Dave. Very informative.

mickeyd
Old 12-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Medical evacuation is a huge cost and one of the main reasons to get it with your insurance. How much can a medevac cost? Well, from my wife's accident....she had to be taken from the accident to the hospital by medevac helicopter - a distance of around 16 air miles. It was almost $10,000. Now think about the cost from Jamaica to Miami in a jet.

Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, travel