Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 AM

I've only been on Carnival, which is pretty much all age groups (families, honeymooners, older folks). Whats the crowd like on HA cruises?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 AM

I think you'll find the same holds true on HAL as well. Usually the longer the cruise, the older the clientele. During holidays there will be more families. Enjoy your cruise!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
When we sailed HAL to Alaska in September, I saw all of three teens. Passengers tended towards "older", but ran the gamut of 30s - 80s. We sailed HAL to Mexico in October, and saw lots of families with children - elementary age to teens, newly weds to geriatrics. It will usually depend on when and to where. But you definitely won't see children on HAL like you will see on Carnival or RCI...
Old 07-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator

The Web site is currently down, so I am unable to confirm, but the minimum age is pretty young, as in toddler or younger. The kids program used to start at age 5, but I believe they recently lowered it to age 3. As penny3333 and susanmaz stated, the passenger mix will vary depending upon the time of year and itinerary. On our August 2004 cruise from Montreal to Boston, there were just 70 kids out of about 1200 passengers. I imagine the numbers are a lot higher on Caribbean itineraries and during school breaks.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:51 AM

I agree that the passenger mix will vary by the time of year and cruise length. On our 18 day Hawaii cruise, the average age was 72, but on the following cruise, Alaska, the average age lowered to 31. There were a lot of families onboard for Alaska.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:00 PM

As stated by others, you will definitely find more children on cruises during holidays. I've found that is particularly true during Spring Break/Easter. We were in the Caribbean in April during the Easter holiday and there were more children than I could count! They totally took over the pool and there was absolutely no relaxing in there while the kiddies were jumping, running, splashing and yelling. If that's something that will really bother you, you won't want to cruise during that time.
During dinner, there were children getting up and down in their seats, getting in the waiters' way, and making a general racket. I must admit that I prefer a more sedate cruise than you can get with too many kids aboard. However, we managed to have a great time in spite of those preferences.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:53 PM

I agree heartily with what many have said before - times of year, length of cruise, etc determining age range.

If you ARE travelling with kids and have any concerns, though, don't worry. Club HAL runs whether there's 2 kids or 200 kids. From a kid's standpoing - they're going to have fun no matter what.

I'm 42 and I tend to like to have a broad age mix. I don't mind kids around, but HATE when things get out of control like crafter315 describes. On the Vista class ships (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam), however, the aft pools are "Adult Only" - and they tend to abide by those rules (at least when I've been there). So there's always an "oasis"!!

Enjoy!! I think you'll like HAL!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 AM

Well I don't know who told you that the aft pool is adults only but its not. I contacted HAL because I am planning a cruise on the Zuiderdam and they don't have adults only places onboard.

Ciska
Old 08-27-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cis:
Well I don't know who told you that the aft pool is adults only but its not. I contacted HAL because I am planning a cruise on the Zuiderdam and they don't have adults only places onboard.

Ciska
Well, perhaps I'm mistaken, or perhaps it's an "unwritten rule" - but the aft pools are generally child-free. You can also check out many of the cruise review sites, and in the "professional reviews" they mention that the aft pool area is limited to adults.

I've never questioned HAL directly, so I didn't know what the "official" policy was.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:01 AM

Well I did contacted HAL because I really hate it when my daughter of 13 isn't alloud to swim with us in all the pools. They say they don't have it so I will be going to the aft pool wiht my child. Maybe it's different when you have little kids.

Ciska

Closed Thread