Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 AM

Thanks Penny. I appreciate the comments. I'll be hoping they do clear things up a bit. A funny thing about readers comments though, there is definitely a pattern sometimes. When I read reviews on sites like this or cruise-critic, there is normally a pretty good pattern on a specific ship. So it's pretty easy to read through the unusual incidents. A lot of ship opinions are pretty accurate when you get on board we've found.
I know the Eurodam is young still and HAL is a great line. We are hopeful still
Nov. 2006- Carnival Paradise
Apr 2007- Celebrity Century
June 2007- Carnival Paradise
November 2007- Carnival Paradise
March 2008- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
June 2008- Holland America Oosterdam (Alaska)
August 2008, Carnival Victory (Canada)
October, 2008 Carnival Paradise (Mexico)
November 2008, Carnival Imagination, Key West/Cozumel
February 2009, Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
April 2009, Carnival Victory (S.Caribbean)
Coming Soon- June 2009, HAL Eurodam (Northern Europe)
Coming Soon- Nov.2009 Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
Old 12-10-2008, 05:58 AM

The Eurodam sure is young and I know there are thousands of "kinks" to work out. It would make sense to me to put your most senior staff on new ships, but that never seems to be the case. I know they must train their employees, but experience is always the best teacher. I'll bet by the time you sail, she'll be running smoothly.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Administrator

cousins, I am sorry to hear of the problems you experienced on Eurodam. As others have mentioned, this is very much out of the norm for HAL. But, that doesn't matter when it is your cruise that is impacted. I'm glad to hear, though, that the ports were fabulous.

etinca, crew and staff (on other lines, but it's no different) have told me that it often takes about 6 months for them to work out the kinks on a new ship. Not only is a ship new to all of them, but the crew needs time to adjust working as part of a new team. As Eurodam will have been in service for close to a year for your cruise, problems should be minimized.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Lisa: I know my comments were negative about our particular experience...I know sometimes things go wrong- of couse...but I think I was more disappointed with the customer service...or lack there of. It was not just one thing...it was many and that is why I won't go HAL any more...it's also because there are so many other choices out there!
I will say I thought the nightly shows were the Best! We had a great time in port! So all in all a great trip...but I'm still looking forward to planning a Panama Canal 10 day trip!!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
it's also because there are so many other choices out there!
A positive attitude like that is the way to go.

I've been doing some recollecting lately, and I realized that I had also dumped a cruise line based on one bad cruise - that being Royal Caribbean after a lackluster time on the Grandeur in 1997. I didn't return to RCI until 2004, and now here I am a diamond member of their loyalty club. I guess what I'm saying is, although you are disappointed in HAL right now, don't totally write them off. Maybe try them again sometime down the road. I am glad I returned to RCI.

Closed Thread

Tags
11, cleanliness, cruise, deck, eurodam, europe, european, hal, passenger, ratingseurodam, review, reviews, room, ship, workout