Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 01:16 PM
This was our first and last cruise with HAL. We booked a room (next to my father/mother). When we first went to our room 5023-interior...it had trash in the cupboards, stains on the sheet,a sock in a drawer, hair on the blanket and IN THE SHOWER...we complained the steward took care of it. We unpacked a weeks worth of clothew...After dinner when my husband went to brush his teeth, water sewer...including feces (of which did not belong to us!) started coming up in the shower drain and overflowed onto the bathroom floor. The plumber came right away and messed with it..said he fixed it and they wanted us to stay in this room and have housecleaning come "clean it"...uh, no! We were then given a room on the 7th floor...with no help or apologies to re-pack and move 2 floors and all the way to the rear 7125....2 hours later finally got to bed. The room creaked and rattled so badly we could not sleep. So in the morning we called and complained AGAIN...they said it was due to rough seas
(meanwhile my parents were moved to the 6th floor
-because we shared the same plumbing issues)
their room did not rattle at all. By Mon morning they came and put wedges into the ceiling all around the edges...it helped cut out 50% but we still could not sleep...
In this room we also received stained towels and a dirty bathrobe. We complained and were compensated a total of $120 I would have rather not missed 7 nights of sleep. It was an awful experience and we will return to RCI!!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the report. I don't know if I'd swear off a cruise line totally if things just weren't right on a single cruise, but that is your choice. I will say that HAL generally gets high marks and has lots of repeat business.

We had a creaking cabin on the Sun Princess years ago. We had to put up with it though, because the ship was sold out. The grating metal-on-metal noise was hard to handle, but we had no choice. It happens.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:52 PM

Sorry you had problems with your cabins. There really is no excuse for stained sheets, towels, and poor house keeping. Apparently they moved you to a room that no one else wanted. Dave is right about things happeningócould be on any cruise line. You might want to consider writing a letter to HAL. You never know, they might make amends. If you do write a letter, I'd suggest being as pleasant as possible.

Sonny
Old 12-06-2008, 07:22 PM

We had a problem with the plumbing and housekeeping on the Zaandam. In our case the ship was full and we had limited use of the head. There were about 10-15 cabins that were having the same problem. We were told that someone, probably from the last cruise put something in the toilet that they shouldn't have. It took them all week to get it fixed.
We made our complaint onboard, then later wrote them a nice letter.
We are going to give HAL another try, this time on the Volendam. They did adjust our bill when we were onboard, and again with our letter.
I think it is only fair to give them a second chance.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Okay, I hear you all! It's just nice to vent once in a while. We do not have the money cruise all of the time...this was our third cruise in eight years...so to have it go so wrong was very upsetting. With so many cruise lines and ships out there and so few cruises planned fo the future, we will go back to RCI...possibly try a Princess ship to the Panama Canal....
Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 AM

Welcome back cousins, I am so sorry to hear about your experiences. That is so unusual for HAL, but I have heard others complain about the Eurodam. I know how much you were looking forward to this cruise, and it must have been such a HUGE disappointment. HAL is normally among the top in customer service and cleanliness. I do hope you at least were able to enjoy the ports. Did you like the As You Wish dining? I hope the food was good, at least. Do try writing a letter to corporate, it might help some. Just be concise and as pleasant as possible. I'm glad that they tried to fix the problems while you were on board, but sorry that it didn't help. We were on the Emerald Princess last year, and someone on our floor flushed bars of soap down the toilet. It clogged up our whole floor. Thankfully, sewer water wasn't coming out, we had no water at all. Hope you book another cruise soon, it doesn't have to be on HAL, but just another one to take the bitter taste away. Stuff can go wrong on any line, just kind of makes your trip so much less enjoyable. I hope they will do something to make it right with you!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Other than the rooms...we had a great trip into 4 ports....Grand Turk we rented a golf cat and toured the whole 6 mile x1 mile island...we talked to the locals and saw some of the hurricane damage they still had....people who just stay in the cruise-beach area never saw the "island" boy did they miss out! Tortola we rented a compact car and dove the steep mountains ...but the views were out of this wold....We also did parasailing off Coki Beach after feeding the fish in the water by hand!
St. Thomas- nothing better than a jeep with the top down to see views that are breath-taking!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 AM

That's wonderful to hear. I know how much you had looked forward to this cruise. Tortola is one of my favorite islands, the scenery is breath-taking. You are really brave to take on the St. Thomas drivers.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Hi Penny,
We talked before about how we are scheduled for a wonderful 14 night Europe cruise on June 22. I keep reading these nightmares about the Eurodam. What is going on over there? We took HAL once before and loved it. However, all kinds of forums and reviews are rough on this boat. Seems strange. Do you think it will be resolved by June or should we look for other options? Some of these remind me of reviews of NCL and the Hawaii trips which caused me to cancel that one last year and do something else. Thoughts?
Nov. 2006- Carnival Paradise
Apr 2007- Celebrity Century
June 2007- Carnival Paradise
November 2007- Carnival Paradise
March 2008- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
June 2008- Holland America Oosterdam (Alaska)
August 2008, Carnival Victory (Canada)
October, 2008 Carnival Paradise (Mexico)
November 2008, Carnival Imagination, Key West/Cozumel
February 2009, Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
April 2009, Carnival Victory (S.Caribbean)
Coming Soon- June 2009, HAL Eurodam (Northern Europe)
Coming Soon- Nov.2009 Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Hi etinca, from my past experience with HAL, this is certainly unusual. I don't know that I'd cancel a cruise because of negative reviews. There have been thousands that have cruised on the Eurodam, but very few satisfied customers will take the time to post a review. Cousins had been looking forward to this cruise for a long time and I know it was a huge disappointment. I would wager that HAL will have improved 100% by the time you sail on the Eurodam or they will not survive. As I pointed out, we had plumbing problems on the Emerald and she was less than 6 months old. It wasn't because of the ship, it was because of a passenger. Someone flushed a soap bar down the toilet. Our entire deck was without water for a day. Luckily, we were in port. The problem was trying to get a shower for dinner. We also lost the water for a couple of hours on other ships, usually because a passenger has done something they shouldn't. Cousins said that other than the room, the cruise was great, so I wouldn't worry. HAL's service, cleanliness, and ammenities are some of the best. If I found a good deal on the Eurodam, I wouldn't hesitate to book it.

Closed Thread

Tags
11, cleanliness, cruise, deck, eurodam, europe, european, hal, passenger, ratingseurodam, review, reviews, room, ship, workout