Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Ok everyone. I have decided that I will do Alaska on either the Oosterdam or the Mercury. Its a difficult decision. So I am hoping to receive feedback from anyone who has done both ships. My wife and I will be traveling with my 9 year old son. Therefore, the childrens programs will be important.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Ok everyone. I have decided that I will do Alaska on either the Oosterdam or the Mercury. Its a difficult decision. So I am hoping to receive feedback from anyone who has done both ships. My wife and I will be traveling with my 9 year old son. Therefore, the childrens programs will be important.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:25 AM

That is a tough one. HAL excels in Alaska cruises, but based purely from the standpoint of your 9 year old - the Mercury is much more likely to have more children his age on the cruise. I would rate Celebrities children's program slightly above HAL's overall.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Hi Nancy and thank you for you comments. I thought no one would answer. Having sailed the Zuiderdam twice (the sister ship of the Oosterdam) I can say my son loves Club HAL. It was under the direction of a wonderful lady from Toronto, Michelle Davey. He has told me that he enjoyed this club more than the Disney Wonder and Magic. I guess what it boiled down to was the Oosterdam is slightly less. I can get a balcony for under $3500 whereas I the balcony on the Mecury is just above $3700. What I was debating was the stops which basically appear to be the same except on the map it appears the Mecury does one trip through the inside passage whereas the Oosterdam appears not to.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:08 AM

One other thought. I have yet to ever sail Celebrity. I have sailed 12 times but I will be on the Zenith to the Western Caribbean in April. However, this week I will have my Alaska cruise booked. I cruised competed it and received my best price from someone other than my regular travel agent. He is trying to get his HA rep to match the price I am getting from another agent.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:05 AM

Hello,

The Mercury is a very nice ship, so do not lose sleep over which cruise/ship to sail on. I fondly remember when my little guy was 7 years old and we went to Mexico on his first cruise. He had a great time even though that ship did not have much in terms of a children's program.

Let me know if you need information pertaining to the Mercury.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:48 AM

Thank you, however I booked the Oosterdam. Staying with what I know. My son loves club HAL and we know the ship very well from our two Zuiderdam sailings. I just have not added it to my signature. Happy sailing!

Closed Thread