Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM

I hesitate to say anything negative regarding NCL because of the emotional outpourings of some of our posters but I guess I would say that their vocal musical performers were way, way off Broadway but not quite American Idol rejects.

On RCCL and Celebrity I have been surprised by some very talented musicians. But again, if you were to ask for names of performers, chances are you won't know them anyway. I did see "Bowser" from Sha Na Na, trying very hard to entertain. He must have left a pool of sweat in the four square feet of stage from which he never strayed.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM
I try to keep things in perspective:
1. the shows are 1000% better today than when I was in the back-up bands 30 years ago;
2. I didn't pay $100.00 and a fat tip for two front-row seats;
3. the dancers alone are wroth going to the production shows;
the dancers (and I know CruiseDad is with me on this) are
some of the hardest working people on the ship.

However, if I hear one more joke about flushing the toilets, I may get sick.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 AM

...and they have hard bodies to show for their hard work!
Old 02-10-2007, 05:38 PM
You noticed that too!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:46 PM

Hello,

I am going to respectfully disagree with Dave. As part of the overall cruise experience I enjoy the shows and especially the classical music performers who have been outstanding on the 15 cruises that we have taken. The violinists and pianists have been superb. Did you ever hear and see Pearl Kaufman?

Yes there have a few singers on the way up and may be one or two whose best years are behind them. Still they have been professional entertainers and enjoyable. I have also liked some of the jugglers, banjo players, and harpists that we have heard.

Fred
Old 02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Fred, this is good to hear. What lines do you hear classical music on--I would like to look into this.

I have seen a few pianists play classical pieces but they were really lounge players who had brushed up on a few "classics" from their learning years.

I did see a banjo player one time that made my jaw drop he was so good AND entertaining.

Oh, we're on the HAL forum--I hope that's the line you're talking about.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Just for clarification - I was referring to the "big shows" and not all entertainment. I look forward to the string ensembles, pianists, and bands. One of my favorites was the wandering quartet of a cappella singers on Celebrity a few years ago. These guys would stroll around the ship, stop someplace and break into song...sort of barbershop style.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:18 AM

Hello,

We are going on our first HAL cruise so I can't tell you about the musicians and the music they play on HAL ships.

The Celebrity ships featured more classical music performers in the evening shows than other cruise ships.

Fred

Closed Thread

Tags
baltimore, comdian, comedian, comedy, comidean, cruise, el, entertainer, entertainers, forum, gaucho, goucho, onboard, restaurant, ship, ships