Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Banned

Does anyone know if H.A. offers Veterans discount's? Or is it just Carnival? Tom
Old 12-28-2006, 08:55 AM

Why would a cruise line offer discounts for vets? Why not then for nurses, firemen etc.?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Because veteran also means people on active duty, and they are often not especially well paid for what they do and need a break in the price if possible.

If you start adding others to the list it soon gets out of control with everyone thinking they deserve a special discount. I don't want a debate on all the other people who think they are underpaid to start here. Veterans hold a special place in the hearts and minds of most Americans. Some cruise lines offer veterans a discount as a nice gesture and they don't have to do it. No different than a senior citizen getting into the movies for cheaper than what I have to pay.

I believe discounts were offered to fire fighters, police, and other emergency workers after 9/11. Not sure if they still are in effect.

And yes, I am prejudiced here since I spent almost 11 years on active duty.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned

Dave
Very well said, and thank you.. Does H.A. Offer the VETS discount?? Tom
Old 12-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I don't know about HAL offering the discount. I found this news release from 2003, so it would seem they don't have an ongoing discount. And that 2003 offer was active duty only, and for set itineraries.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:22 PM

Wow, arent we getting a little hostile. I agree that a lot of professions deserve discounts but come on, these veterans are the reason this country is still free. Im a little prejudiced myself since my husband retired after 20 years in the Army, my dad served in WWII and I have an uncle who served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Oh yeah, cant forget the cousins who are serving right now, 1 in Iraq for his 2nd tour and 1 getting ready to head back to Afghanistan. My cousin got a discount for his honeymoon cruise. They deserve all the discounts they can get. THANKS TO ALL VETERANS AND ACTIVE DUTY PERSONNEL WHO READ THIS. We appreciate what you do for us and for our country.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Greyson,

God Bless those in your family who have served and are currently serving! The ALL deserve our respect and support!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:22 PM

As do you Dave, all those who have served as just as important as those serving now. I wished all Americans could see it like you and I do. God Bless. I hope Vanessa is doing well, just think less than 3 months and you will be sailing again. I cant wait to go again.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Banned

Greyson
A big thank you to all your relatives who have served, and all the others who have served.. I am a disabled Viet Nam vet, and those who have not served will never understand.I appreciate every little thing that I recieve in recognition of my service.It sure wasn't that way when we returned..I geuss some are trying to make up for that now.. And like I said I appreciate it.. Tom
Old 12-29-2006, 09:42 AM

Tom, a big thank you to you as well. I know you guys were definitely not treated fairly when you returned, and you are so right, unless someone has been in your shoes they will never understand. I had a very close friend serve in Desert Storm and he was never the same after he returned. I do firmly believe you all deserve any good recognition and discounts you can get. I work for a local police dept and my husband was a firefighter as well. I do believe they deserve it as well, but the Vets should get it first and foremost. God Bless You.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, discount, royal, vet