Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChucksOK:
The ship did not offer excursions as we only made two stops. The first in the Azores and all we did was to get off the ship, walk around the port area and have a beer in a sidewalk cafe. The next stop was our final destination, Lisbon. We took a taxi from the ship to the airport and flew out that same day. We had been to Lisbon in the past and have been back since that crossing so we didn't mind going directly to the airport.

Now, with that said, you MUST experience Seville, Barcelona, Rome, Monte Carlo and Dubrovnik. If you do nothing else, get yourself a guide book and go on your own - do not miss the opportunity to visit these wonderful cities.
  • Monte Carlo and Dubrovnik are easy to walk around in and enjoy without the necessity for a guide.
  • Barcelona - you must see the Familia Sagrada Cathedral, the incredible ediface designed by Gaudi and still being constructed. There are other examples of his unique style in some of the neighborhoods/buildings.
  • Rome - wow - you can spend days. Try to maximize your time there by taking a comprehensive tour - you will save time and frustration not having to stand in lines.
  • Seville - what a beautiful city. Same thing - either do it yourself or simply do a city tour. You won't be disappointed.[/list]
    Hope I was of help to you.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 PM

yes, your post was most helpful -- thank you -- luckily we have been in rome a lot, so we won't have to worry about that stop -- your advise re monte carlo and duborvnic is wonderful -- we love to walk around a "new" city for us alone and see what we can see ourselves

okay, are barcelona and seville too --

i have printed your message and it is with my travel things

sorry i have not responded soon but i do thank you

hanahbean
Old 12-11-2006, 09:13 PM

CLE739 -- wow !! would love to join that group but i cannot find it or YOU, i searched "transatlantic" and "repositioning" but could not find that thread -- could you please give me some hints -- ?? -- thanks

hanahbean
Old 12-12-2006, 05:36 AM

Hanahbean....Hope you join our group. Go to www.cruisecritic.com
then over on the upper left you will see a heading for Boards. Go there and scroll down to Roll Call...Holland America.
We are also staying on the next 10 days which does the Greek Islands. The price was good, and we may not get the chance again. We booked through an agency that is owned by the wife of the former CEO of Holland America, and for some reason their prices are hard to beat. If you have any questions let me know.
Carol
Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 PM

Carol -- for some reason cruise critic will not let me post -- something about my email not being verified yet -- but i did read the posts on the HAL-4/1/07- roll call -- did not see a "carol" there but perhaps you are logged in as something else on that one -- in any case, thanks so much, i will be checking it all the time and i'm certain i'll eventually get on -- which ChucksOK could join us -- hanahbean
Old 12-30-2006, 01:14 PM

will be joining you all on April 1st, our 4th transatlantic in 2yrs. Venice is great!! See you all soon. Irene and Mike
Old 12-30-2006, 02:24 PM

Irene and Mike....Try going to the cruisecritic.com web site, then at the top left you will see boards, click that on and you will see on the left, as you scroll down, Roll Call, and click on Holland, and then the Veendam, 4/1. We are getting together a group to meet on board, and will look forward to having you join us! Not too much longer now. If you have any questions, let me know....Carol
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 PM

I too will be on the Tampa to Venice cruise in April. I am one person who loves lots of sea days ... and this cruise starts out with seven of them!

And, yes ... it is truly a bargain ... less than $100 per day in our case. This cruise is actually substantially cheaper than our QE2 cruise coming back ... which is only six days and no port stops in my case (I'm getting off in New York, but the ship continues onto Fort Lauderdale).

To maximize time in the ports, we've scheduled HAL shore excursions in each one. The only disappointment is that we cannot get a Vatican tour in Rome because of the relatively short port stay, and had to opt for a "Panoramic Rome" tour instead. We will get to the Basicalia, but not into the Vatican itself. But for the price I'm paying for an 18-day cruise, I guess I can deal with that relatively minor disappointment.

--rita
Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 PM

Hello,

BArcelona is truly a beautiful city, and there is a tourist bus system designed for tourists. If the weather is nice you can ride on top where yousee some wonderful views of the city. The bus system is very reasonably priced and I highly recommend that you use it.

Hope that this helps.

Fred
Old 04-12-2007, 10:52 AM

Hello everyone, We almost booked this transatlantic cruise because of the amazing price but ended up on the May 19, Veendam out of Venice. Some of our concerns had been how rough are the Atlantic seas in early April, is it too cold to sit out on the decks that early in the year, what did you do with so many sea days? I would love to take advantage of one of these cruises in the future. Would you recommend Spring or Fall? Thanks for any help.
NY Cruisers

Closed Thread

Tags
comments, companies, cruise, cruises, customer, forum, port, reposition, repositioning, review, reviews, stops, transatlantic, transition, weather