Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 AM

I have a friend whose father was from Latvia. Their last name is Bebris. I had never heard of it (yeah I know, I was probably sleeping in Geography class) but have heard of quite a few people from there in the last few years. I love the seasons, just hate shoveling snow.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 AM

You know, it really is a great place to live, (for ten months of the year.)

The quality of life, dining, the arts, medical care, fortune 500's, no hurricanes etc. make it a great place to live. Not too many people care to retire here though! Maybe that's why Floridians don't have a "southern" accent! All the Minnesotan snow-birds" with their wide-mouthed, closed lip form of speech.

I know,... I've been told by my relatives in the Carolinas that I'm the one with the accent
Old 02-07-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
My wife spent her teens in Minneapolis (she is from Latvia) before coming west and for 40 years lamented the "lovely change in seasons there"; that is, until she spent two months there last winter caring for her mother. Now I don't hear anymore about visiting in the winter.
"Master Cruiser" Congratulations on 500!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Chef Ken, thank you very much!

Greyson, don't feel bad--I never heard of it either. Dosen't say much for our education system, does it.
My father-in-laws name was Voldemars Gutmanis; he taught art in Riga and is fairly well known in the Latvian community for his landscapes and still lifes.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Sounds like he was a pretty respected and cool guy. Chef Ken, I do like it here. I moved from California, couldn't get me to move back there for nothing. If I had to move again, it would be to Alaska where my cousin lives in Anchorage. So I guess if I dont like the snow that is a terrible choice of where I would want to move. I can do better with the cold than I can the heat. Its so gorgeous outside right now with the blue skies, bright sun and new coat of glistening snow. Great to enjoy from inside the house.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Chef Ken, thank you very much!

Greyson, don't feel bad--I never heard of it either. Dosen't say much for our education system, does it.
My father-in-laws name was Voldemars Gutmanis; he taught art in Riga and is fairly well known in the Latvian community for his landscapes and still lifes.
If you were a Seinfeld junkie you might remember an episode where George decided to become "Latvian Orthodox", (which I am told by a Latvian Seminary student who I know) doesn't exist.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Sorry, I missed that one; but that's the kind of off-the-wall stuff that made that show great--that, and the great bass guitar licks between scenes.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that one; but that's the kind of off-the-wall stuff that made that show great--that, and the great bass guitar licks between scenes.
I re-read this post and thought yes, there were some really nice bass licks. I wonder who it was and how many different ones he created.

Where are the stats people when you need them?

Closed Thread

Tags
america, bring, cruise, cruises, crusie, deluxe, gutmanis, hal, holland, latvia, reviews, riga, verhanda, voldemars, wine