Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 AM

I have been searching through brochures for every cruise line that covers Alaska for several weeks and have now decided to book Holland America. Hopefully we've made the right decision. We're in our late 30's - have heard that we may be classed as quite young for this cruise line, however, the intinery for Alaska won us over as well as good reviews for the ship etc.

We just need to wait for the 2008 dates to be released and I'll be first in line to book. We're hopefully going to go with a room with a verandah (balcony here in the UK) but ideally we would love a suite. Are they worth the extra cash? Also, what is the difference between a deluxe verandah room and a standard one?

The silly little brochure we get here in the UK doesn't really give much information as to the different cabins and the additional extra perks that are on offer.

Thanks if you manage to respond!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 AM

We have been on both HAL Oosterdam and Ryndam, both very good ships, just depends on the cruise you want. Oosterdam is round trip from Seattle where Ryndam is from Vancouver to Seward. We liked the 2nd cruise better as we have family in Alaska, but also because we spent 2 days watching glaciers, one in Glacier Bay and one in College Fjords. Both are good trips though with personnel that is out of this world when it comes to helping. Have a great time, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with either ship.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 AM

We had a window view room which as enough for us. We spent most of our time out of the room and on both cruises it really wasnt warm enough to constitute having a balcony. Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 PM

While we were on a different Cruise line (Princess). We were in an inside cabin, we were not in the cabin much. My Aunt and Uncle had a balcony, they enjoyed it, but we were bless with nice weather. Don't forget to add in the windchill factor when thinking about a balcony, when the ship moves there is a breeze.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM

I've sailed over 150 days with Holland America and well over half have been in the Deluxe Veranda Suites - here is a link that will take you to HAL's website for a full description, the size of the Deluxe Veranda Suites and the amenities you receive. I can assure you an experience well worth the money. I just returned from a cruise around Cape Horn (Valparaiso to Rio) on the Rotterdam in a Deluxe Veranda Suite. We were traveling with another couple who had the adjacent suite. The cabin steward unlocked the partition between the verandas which then gave us an immense space to have cocktails. You will find it a very civilized way to enjoy your cruise - there is also something very special about a pre-dinner cocktail on your own veranda while watching the sun set.

And speaking of cocktails, HAL will allow you to purchase bottles of your favorite liquor for consuption in the privacy of your own suite/veranda - I posted the list and pricing on this board some time back. That was what we did rather than attempt to sneak liquor aboard like boarding school students trying to sneak liquor or beer into the dormitory. In addition, you can openly bring wine aboard. There is no corkage if consumed in ensuite.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I love your analogy to "boarding school students"; I can understand wanting to save a buck--heck, I've been there--but the whole mouthwash bottle/bubble wrap thing is really a turn-off; as is the wine-in-a-box fiasco.
I'm glad to hear HAL has such an adult attitude about wine and liquor.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Quote:
That was what we did rather than attempt to sneak liquor aboard like boarding school students trying to sneak liquor or beer into the dormitory. In addition,
LOL Aw come on, you're taking all the fun away from trying to beat the system are you not?

We are first time cruisers and my thinking is that we will spend little time in our cabin on an Alaska HAL cruise this summer and expect to take a number of excursions. We are going cheap on the room and using the savings on more/better side trips.

Is this s good idea that I have, or am I being simplistic about the savings on the cheap room?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:28 PM

The first cruise we took to Alaska on HAL we had an inside room. We were only there to sleep and shower, otherwise we were out and about on the boat. The 2nd time we sailed up there my mom paid my way as she cannot do a cruise alone due to being on oxygen and needing a wheelchair a lot. She got us a window room. It was good too, but still we didnt spend a lot of time in the room so it didnt matter. The first cruise my mom and hubby's mom had a balcony room. It didnt matter, it was too cold when the ship was moving to be out there anyway. Have fun, you will be hooked on Alaska, we are.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mickeyd:
quote:
That was what we did rather than attempt to sneak liquor aboard like boarding school students trying to sneak liquor or beer into the dormitory. In addition,

LOL Aw come on, you're taking all the fun away from trying to beat the system are you not?

We are first time cruisers and my thinking is that we will spend little time in our cabin on an Alaska HAL cruise this summer and expect to take a number of excursions. We are going cheap on the room and using the savings on more/better side trips.

Is this s good idea that I have, or am I being simplistic about the savings on the cheap room?

Simplistic would be my answer. It's a cruise, live it up. By the way, the only system one beats in bringing liquor aboard is raising costs for other cruisers, but there are multiples of posts on that subject.

First-time cruisers? Go on, you must be joking.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greyson:
We have been on both HAL Oosterdam and Ryndam, both very good ships, just depends on the cruise you want. Oosterdam is round trip from Seattle where Ryndam is from Vancouver to Seward. We liked the 2nd cruise better as we have family in Alaska, but also because we spent 2 days watching glaciers, one in Glacier Bay and one in College Fjords. Both are good trips though with personnel that is out of this world when it comes to helping. Have a great time, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with either ship.
Hello Greyson,

We are having a bit of a cold snap aren't we?

I know that glaciers "calve", do they do anything else? I mean I am getting the mental picture of watching grass grow and for ignorance failing to see what could take two days to watch. Help me out here.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, bring, cruise, cruises, crusie, deluxe, gutmanis, hal, holland, latvia, reviews, riga, verhanda, voldemars, wine