Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Just back from the 3/31 Zuiderdam sailing. My families third time on the Zuiderdam and 4th Vista class sailing as we did the Oosterdam to Alaska. IN addition we have sailed 3 other HAL ships. I can final say I have been on a bad sailing as it as the worst HA cruise I've been on. If it had not been for being there with friends it would of been a complete boring trip. It started out by HAL being rquired to skip the beautiful Island of Tortolla and replacing it with the San Juan two days before the sailing. San Juan is just a big city with some very rough beaches. The daily, especially early evening activities were lame. There was no game show mania, evening music trivia, TV show theme songs trivia and especially there was no newly wed game show. These are just a few of the items missing from our previous sailings. Even though we booked the trip over a year before the sailing, our group was seperated in the dining room. MY TA assured me all the reservations were cross referenced. It took the staff 4 days to figure out how to handle this. On Thursday, they had bingo for the free cruise at the same time as the children's talent show. Not good. Many parents who had been playing bingo all week were complaining about this. The singer on Wednesday and the last night was the worst cruise ship performer I had ever seen.
The comedian was OK. The production shows are the same ones they used 3 years ago when I sailed the Zuiderdam for the first time. Having Denny Neagle, the former baseball pitcher with a WS ring win the Superstar competiton over a young lady was just wrong. He should of done a classy thing by handing the bottle of booze along with the picture frame over to her. She was a much better singer. This is a man with millions from his baseball playing days.
When we asked the cruise staff about the lack of activities the response was a simple, Oh well! It seemed like they were all programed to say the same thing. All I can say is "Oh well" it will be some time before I sail HAL again. I will stick with RCCL in the future. Im sure after I post this posting I will think of even more things that contributed to this being the worst sailing I had ever been on. Oh I will say, the best part of the sailing was the disembarkation.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:59 PM

I am sorry to hear about your cruise. Sounds like RCCL will be a better fit for you with what you mentioned you missed.

I hope you are able to book another cruise soon to put that one behind you.

Ken
Old 04-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Yes sir! Best tonic for a bum cruise is a good one as soon as possible.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks guys. Have the next one booked on RCCL for August 17 and am working on another group one for next April 20 on the AOS. This years cruise on The EOS marks the 5th one on RCCL therfore, for next years will have me moved to the next Level.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
That's great news! You clearly have been pleased with RCCL in the past and I'm sure you will be again. By next level I assume you mean the perks you receive as a previous passenger. I'm not fariliar with RCCL but I know Princess takes very good care of its loyal customers.

August will be here before you know it.
Have a great cruise.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:09 AM

Lets see, been on 7 HA, 1 Princess, 4 RCCL (5 with August of this year), 1 NCL, 1 Celebrity and 2 Disney, and my first was the Big Red Boat way back when. Your trip to Hawaii is one I can be envious of. Having children later than most prevents us from doing a 15 day cruise from the mainland. It will be something to look forward to during my retirement years. Will continue with 2 per year for as long as I can. There simply is nothing better than cruising.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

Regarding Denny Naegle and his penchant for keeping the booze; don't forget his DUI and other nefarious activities near the end of his career. There is a reason he kept the hooch!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
Regarding Denny Naegle and his penchant for keeping the booze; don't forget his DUI and other nefarious activities near the end of his career. There is a reason he kept the hooch!
That was not the point. The point was he should not have been awarded the award in the first place. The young lady would of remembered that for the rest of her life whereas, I am sure Neagle has already forgotten it!

Another item I thought was poorly handled was the late night adult comedy. In the past it was held in the queens lounge which is a small night club atmosphere. This time it was held in the Vista show room. The schedule clearly stated it was adult comedy. In the past the ship did not allow anyone under 18 to be in the show and the show was held at midnight and the childrens center was kept open till 1am. This time the show started at 10:15 and there were children to be seen everywhere. The comic had to hold back which was not what we were there to see. It is called adult humor for a reason. If you are offended by it then you don't go. We have always enjoyed this type of show, but understandably it and it was not what we had expected. Why would parents bring their children to this type of show? Why would HA permit children into this type of show when they clearly did not permit them in the past?

Just a very poorly run cruise from the dining room to the cruise staff.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Whoa there, pardner; didn't miss the point at all. Was just making a tongue in cheek statement about Neagle. Maybe my point was a little too buried and subtle. Your point was pretty clear and not veiled.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

Just to clear up any misunderstanding....if you read goin' cruisin's comments on the "back from explorer" thread, he probably didn't run naked through the ship with a confederate flag either....correct me if I'm wrong GC??

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, denny, hal, location, naegle, reviews, ships