Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   About Drinks/Beverages onboard HAL (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/27904-about-drinks-beverages-onboard-hal.html)

Stephan 02-15-2006 09:55 AM

I just read paulīs "liquor in room" question and I would like to know the following:

In one of the other statements (canīt remember who was writting) somebody was complaining that a small coke costs about 6US$.

Does somebody know the general or average pricing on any drinks - e.g. beverages/cocktails/liquor etc? I donīt want to hear now a detailed list about prices - just an overview in general.

In former times I was cruising with two other shipīs (not HAL) and the prices seemed to be "ok" for me. But e.g. 6$ for a small coke seems to be a bit above the average...

Regards
Stephan

susanmaz 02-15-2006 12:52 PM

My last cruise on HAL, and on my last cruise on NCL, cans of soda were $1.50 US. Drinks will range from $3.95 - expensive for some fancy martinis and blender drinks. Beers were running $3.50ish - but there is usally a special for buying buckets of 4.

jwd136 02-26-2006 10:44 AM

Things have changed.

Just for fun, on my first cruise on a ship named Statendam, draft Heinekins was 15 cents a glass. Our inside cabin with bunk beds on A-Deck cost $415/pp for 10 days.

When? 1966. Some things have changed for the better, others not so. - jwd136

Adawaal 05-11-2006 11:40 AM

I've cruised w/ HAL a few times now. Yes, Cokes can be very pricy. However, if you know you'll be putting back a few, they sell a card for something like $25 or $30 that you can show and get unlimited soft drinks at no extra cost for the entire cruise. A good deal if you're a big Coke drinker.

Windancer 05-11-2006 02:34 PM

We just got back in April from our first cruise. It was on the Westerdam and it was amazing!! We did buy a coke card for $18, in the terminal before we even boarded the ship. It was good for 20 "cokes". It also comes with a really cool souvinier cup. I did find the average drink around $5-$6. It is pretty scary how fast your ship account adds up though!!!

Frequent Flyer 06-08-2006 07:28 AM

Okay -so we've figured out that we can buy 'coke' cards. what about 'Beer' Cards? Is ther any other way to save on this stuff?

Timyc 06-08-2006 02:40 PM

We sailed with Holland last January, our second cruise with them. We were disappointed to see the liquor rules change. On Holland, you used to be able to buy liquor at the on-board duty-free and pay a 20% surcharge to take it back to your cabin - no limit! Considering how cheap it was, 20% wasn't much! All that's gone now. One thing one might consider with bringing liquor on-board, the rules don't apply to wine or champagne...I took a case through security without any problem at all. You can't take beer or any other liquor though. If your smart, you'll leave half your cloths at home and replace them with some "refreshments". We always do and have never had a problem. One other point, there is a big difference (not for the better) in sailing Holland now as to 10 years ago; all the cruise lines are out for every dollar they can get, with liquor prices and tips becoming ridiculous!

Mr. TP 06-10-2006 01:25 PM

As of my trip on the Noordam in March, no unlimited soda cards. What is offered is a $18.00 soda card that is good for 20 soft drinks at the bars. Just the glass, no can.
If I recall, without the card a Coke was 1.75 but I think you got the whole can.
It was a good deal for me.