Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 AM

My husband and I will be sailing the Zuiderdam in Oct. We are still looking at rooms, but I am confused about the categories. We have been quoted a price for a category VH room, but I haven't seen this category on any of the deck plans. Will this be a decent verandah room to have? We've only been on 2 cruises, and have never had a verandah, so I want to be happy that we upgraded. Any help?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 AM

My husband and I will be sailing the Zuiderdam in Oct. We are still looking at rooms, but I am confused about the categories. We have been quoted a price for a category VH room, but I haven't seen this category on any of the deck plans. Will this be a decent verandah room to have? We've only been on 2 cruises, and have never had a verandah, so I want to be happy that we upgraded. Any help?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:59 AM

I have a VH guarentee cabin reserved on the Noordam for Alaska this August. I have never cruised before, so this is all new to me.
I have found that there are usually on 4 VH cabins, they are located on the Upper Promenade deck in the very front (bow?) of the ship (4001, 02, 03, 04).
It's my understanding that the railings on the decks are metal. Which means unless you are very tell, when you are sitting down, the view is obstructed.
I've also heard that the show lounge is right below those cabins, which means you may hear the shows if you retire early for the night. You also may hear them rehearsing in the day. So napping could be rough.
I personnaly hoping for either a really good upgrade or an offer to pay for a upgrade.
I hope I've been of some help. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Welcome lkleach, Magixtam is correct. The Cat VH is the lowest category of balcony on HAL and has a steel railing instead of the more common glass balcony. As Magictam also points out, there are very few VH cabins. HAL frequently offers cabins in this category on a guarantee status. Meaning you're guaranteed a balcony but the category and location are randomly assigned. They sell a lot more than 4 of these when they run such promotions so you're very likely to be in a Cat higher than the VH you're booked at unless you actually have an assigned cabin.

Unless you care about your location on the ship, these are a great way to save $$$ and be assured of a balcony. Don't worry too much about the railing or noise factor, you probably won't be residing in a VH.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all your help, I think we'll go ahead and book it and just take the chance. At this point, as long as I'm on the ship, I'll be happy!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Hi All
I think the upgrade fairy stopped by but not really sure. I saw my cabin number displayed today for the first time.
As I've said, I booked a VH guarantee but now I'm in a VC5147. I think I'm more excited seeing this then when I got the documents.

If anyone has been in this cabin before I would love your thoughts and opinions.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:00 PM

A 5 category upgrade for the price of the lowest available balcony... pretty good. This is why I like guarantees, you're guaranteed at least what you pay for with the posibility of something much nicer and not having to pay the difference.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-30-2007, 05:51 AM

Does anyone know what the VA cats are like?
Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
amercia, america, assigned, cabin, categories, category, chances, guarantee, guaranteed, holland, line, problem, room, upgrade, vh