Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I agree, why are they picking on the cruise industry?
The cruise industry gets picked on because it is the only venue that is obligated by law to report the viruses when they affect a certain percentage of the passengers and crew. That's why the cruise industry is in the news all the time regarding outbreaks of norovirus. Norovirus is very common in schools, prisons, hotels, etc., but those venues don't have to report it, so the outbreaks are not picked up by the press. It's a shame the cruise industry has to suffer this negative publicity.

Sandy
Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Look at this story and tell me there is no media bias towards attacking the cruise industry. This story really annoys me - especially the headline wording which implies the man died as a result of the virus. And just what exactly is "violently ill"? Is this when you get sick and suddenly feel the urge to rob a bank?
Yes I agree the news media does have a bias this way. My daughter works as an entertainer dancer for Carnival and has been on a cruise with many people sick, including herself. The news made much much more of it then was real. The cruise line does a great deal to prevent and limit the occurances.

I have 2 stories to share. The first was when she was on the Spirit and her fellow entertainers and she were watching local TV and saw a report that the Spirit "had an attack of Noro and they shut down Camp Carnaval and sent all the kids back to their parents". They knew nothing of it, even those Hosts that run the camp . What REALLY happened was 1 kid got sea sick and they moved the camp to another room while they clened it up. Happens on most cruises and how the TV got it was still a mystery.

The other story was several contracts later when her mom and I were on board. She saw a cleaning crew cleaning out of schedule and commented something like, "A Class B virus scare" as if it was just a normal part of the job. Apparently when even 2 people report to sick bay with symptons even close to NORO the cleaning schedule and perhaps other things are stepped up. Who would know that the cruise lines do this. Do the Assisted living facilities do it? Do YMCA and Boys and Girls Clubs do it? Maybe, we will never know. Only the media is powerful enough to mislead us.

Closed Thread

Tags
bias, cruise, holland, noro, ship, virus