Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Look at this story and tell me there is no media bias towards attacking the cruise industry. This story really annoys me - especially the headline wording which implies the man died as a result of the virus. And just what exactly is "violently ill"? Is this when you get sick and suddenly feel the urge to rob a bank?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Equally annoying is the headline, "Another cruise, another catastrophe".
At least they didn't try to link the death to the virus--not directly anyway.
It's like Don Hennley"s song says, "give us your dirty laundry".
Old 02-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Another cruise, another catastrophe

The opening line makes it sound like a Titanic sinking. When there are a large number of people in a relatively close and most times closed area germs can spread. It is no different than working in an office building. If someone brings in a infectious germ, people will get sick. Does that mean that working in an office building is a very bad thing?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Every year around this time my power plant has a refueling and maintenance outage. This means a thousand or so "travelers" of various skills and crafts show up to work as contractors. And invariably, when this sudden surge of people occurs, some virus will pop up. It has already happened in fact, with what we in the south call "the crud" making the rounds. I am coming down with it. People will show up to work sick because they want the overtime. It will not go away until the outage ends and there are fewer people at work.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

The flu and virus's hit all over this time of year. Why would a cruise ship be any differant? All I can say is wash wash wash your hands..Tom
Old 02-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Every year around this time my power plant has a refueling and maintenance outage. This means a thousand or so "travelers" of various skills and crafts show up to work as contractors. And invariably, when this sudden surge of people occurs, some virus will pop up. It has already happened in fact, with what we in the south call "the crud" making the rounds. I am coming down with it. People will show up to work sick because they want the overtime. It will not go away until the outage ends and there are fewer people at work.
I agree, why are they picking on the cruise industry? They say it in the tone as if, "well once again, Gilligan screwed it up for everyone to get off the island." It is so matter-of-fact when they report it and that is not only poor journalism but a blatant attempt at changing the way people think.

Don't worry Dave, it wont' be long until they start talking over-population again and that will be to blame for all the sickness. That will take the pressure off, (maybe.)

Reality is not even remotely linked to this kind of reporting. I recently read that all 7 million of us could fit in the state of South Dakota standing at an arms length space on all sides. That would confine all the sickness!

Problem is the cruise ships would be empty.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Journalists.....or what passes for a journalist these days. Most of the them would be totally lost in the days of "real" journalism. I recall a local TV reporter who was stranded in Cancun on her honeymoon when Hurricane Wilma hit. You never saw so much crying and moaning. She called daily and they put it on the newscast. But it was all about her and her pitiful situation. A real journalist would have taken advantage of the circumstances and done some reporting. All she wanted was for the U.S. government to send a plane to rescue her from the refugee center the Mexican government had set up. In the end I think she got her wish, and then we all had to endure the epic homecoming, tears, etc. It was disgusting.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:31 AM

Just off the Volendam on Thursday. Husband was unfortunate to get virus. I was fine but they asked that I stay in room until 24 hours was up in case I was a carrier of the germs as well. We were well treated by HAL and by the medical staff. We are both in our fifties and in good health so we had no other health issues.

HAL immediately put measures in place such as removing salt and pepper shakers from the tables, no touching of merchandise in the shops on board and lots of other measures. Our room was cleaned by a special hit team during my husband's illness and they did all they could to contain virus. We had a call once a day from the front desk to see if we were all right and was there anyting they could do for us.

Unfortunely the average age on the 10 day cruise was 75 and I believe that a lot of folks had pre existing illnesses. One person died as a result of cancer and another died of a heart attack - nothing to do with the virus.

Catie M.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Catie,

Thanks for the first hand account!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:09 AM

We had something similar last week when the online version of a Newsmagazine published an article with so many holes and misconceptions....

I then mailed the editor asking if he wasn't ashamed of the rubbish he was publishing... well to my suprise the article was changed 2 hours later and to my suprise I recieved an Email from the Editor if I thought the mistakes had been edited correctly...Well not exactly but another 3 hours later the whole article had been rewritten so that at least the facts were now correct with the correct photos and captions....

Newspaper folks are also human and make mistakes but do not hesitate to correct them - they do listen - sometimes

Closed Thread

Tags
bias, cruise, holland, noro, ship, virus