Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 PM

We are expecting to sail on the Masdam in December, but were frightened by reviews that spoke of a/c not functioning properly in the cabins and cigarete smoke in corridors. Any truth? On Celebrity, we were able to get our a/c down to 60. Can we do this on the aasdam?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM

The ship was just refurbed in 06 so I'm surprised to hear of these reviews unless they were prior to the refurb. I've had many many clients on Maasdam and the overwhelming majority have given very good feedback. Sorry for the late reply. Just found your post. Hope this helps. The 9 and 10 day itineraries in December are spectacular. I love the southern carib, just got back myself last month.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 PM
I am not familiar with the Maasdam, but sailed her sister ship, the Ryndam, a few years back. It's a smaller ship, with under 1300 passengers which makes for a nice, more intimate feel. Hubby & I are finding we like the smaller, less crowded venues.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 PM

We were on Maasdam three years ago and are booked again in2008 in July on voyage of the Vikings. I will follow this thread to see the reports that come in. We liked the ship enough to want to be on it again.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Hi stevero25, and welcome to cruise-chat.

Yes, check the dates of the cruise reviews you're reading. I know that there were indeed some problems with the A/C in some cabins prior to the refurbishment (although ours wasn't affected). Cigarette smoke will vary from one cruise to another, depending the smoking habits of those onboard.

We were on Maasdam in 2004 with Haze56 (hi, Haze ) and had a wonderful cruise. We'll be going on sister ship Ryndam this summer. We love the size of the ship and cabins, and the attentiveness of the HAL crew. If you liked Celebrity, I think you'll also like HAL--we do.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Hello Lisa,
ARe you Lisa63 on another board?
Anyway, we also love the size of the Maasdam.
th cruise we are taking in 2008 is one we have wanted to do for a long time. Apparently it only goes in July of each year. The size of the ship reminds us of QE2 which we have sailed on many times and loved.
We are looking forward to July 22 sailing.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Hi Haze--yes, it's me. It's good to see you. This is a cruise we would love to make someday. I don't know how much time you'll have post-cruise, but we'd love to visit with you and B. again if that's possible. (We can chat offline.)

Glad to have you onboard cruise-chat!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Its great to connect again Lisa. I will check with B . It would be great to see you again.
Our plans at the end of Voyage of the Vikings are not at all laid down. It would be good to chat off line. I will check this board again for notes.The email addrsss I have for you is the one off the other board. Is it still in effect? Or can I eamil you through this one?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Haze, I just left you a private message.

Sorry for the diversion, all. This is one example of how a friend made on a cruise can be a friend for life!

stevero25, I hope you've found the answers so far to be helpful. As you can see, we have several Maasdam experts/past pax onboard this site. We're happy to help with these and any additional questions you may have.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:50 PM

The posts I have read about the a/c included 2006 and 2007, although there were also some good comments. I have purchased a high velocity fan, which should also help, I hope.
By the way, aside from the formal nights, do the men have to wear sport jackets in the dining room for dinner or is a nice shirt and slacks good enough?

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cruise, date, december, formal, holland, location, maasdam, massdam, nights, refurbished, reviews, ship, vikings, voyage