Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

HA has a cruise that I was interested in but the price was way up there. I tried to get a Vets discount, or some sort of past cruiser discount, no deals. I even tried to get a Carnival past cruiser or Vets discount with them, no deals. The crusie planner said wait and maybe we can do better when it gets closer, but thatn was the best she could do. Tom
Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Thomas-HAL needs to revise it's discount policies and bring itself more into line with Carnival, the parent company. HAL is missing a large market segment and cruising today is an ever competitive business. I am a veteran and I have met the same lack of responsiveness with HAL.

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-17-2007, 04:02 AM
Banned

Billy
I agree, I tried every angle I could think of and nothing worked. The lady was very pleasant but stuck to her guns when it came to discounts.
I could not even get a senior citizen discount.
Tom
Old 05-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

Several times during the year HAL does have discounts for military, teachers, police officers...its not on every cruise though....but there is usually a wide selection of cruises to choose from. Think about this when you are asking for a discount. Why don't they give discounts for single fathers...its the most important job (not that yours isn't)and single fathers get absolutely NO discounts and in most cases have to pay more...as the first child pays the same as an adult. Also if its a popular cruise...Supply and demand kicks in and its all just business.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billybuzzy:
Thomas-HAL needs to revise it's discount policies and bring itself more into line with Carnival, the parent company. HAL is missing a large market segment and cruising today is an ever competitive business. I am a veteran and I have met the same lack of responsiveness with HAL.

Billy,
HAL would not bring itself in line with Carnival Cruise Lines. CCL is not the parent company of HAL. It is Carnival Corporation and PLC. All the cruise lines under Carnival Corp and PLC; Carnival, Princess, Costa, HAL, Seabourn, and Cunard, operate as separate entities.

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM

HAL does not offer any form of 55+ rates, neither does Princess. They do offer military rates but do not publish them, the T/A has to call and ask for them, not use the booking engine. The one big difference in their military rates frome the traditional way of offering them is they only apply to active duty personell. Vets are out of luck with HAL. They do also offer, a rate as previously posted for "Community Appreciation" that applies to teachers, firefighters and police officers.

None of their promotional rate are as good as their Flash and SWAT promos that are run frequently but typically last minute and short term on sailings they are having trouble filling. Again, they do not always make these rate readily available to all agencies. They are, unlike the military rates, shown on the booking engines for very large (usually internet based) agencies. When they run these, it'll be the lowest rates you'll ever see on HAL, below past pax promos, mil and even community apprec. rates.

If you see a HAL rate that looks too good to be true, it is one of these rates. They typically have very different booking rules associated with them. Payment in full is required no matter how far out you book. They go into 100% penalty the day you book your cruise so please buy insurance if you book one of these or you'll loose every dollar for cancellation.

They do have great promotions, they are just different from CCL or PCL or the other lines in the Carnival Corp family. With HAL, a good agent at one of the large agencies can sometimes find rates well below what you'll find elsewhere, even booking direct. Certainly not always the case but when shopping for HAL shop around. They reward the agencies with a reputation for filling their ships with promos you can't always find elsewhere.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
america, caribbean, citizen, cruise, cruises, discount, forums, holland, military, powered, rate, royal, senior, vbulletin, veterans, vets