Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
This has probably been addressed here before, but I was impressed by how much cleaning your hands was stressed on the Statendam in July.

Before entering the fine dining area, EVERYONE must take a squirt of Purell. Before they give you a tray in the Lido dining room you are reminded to do your hands. Dispensers are located at every evivator on each floor.

They really do an excellent job in stressing the importance to germ controlon the ship. Of course, it is in HAL's own benefit to make sure that no virus takes over the ship, but they do it well and is is easy to comply with if you understand that it insures a pleasant trip for all.

I never recall anyone making a protestation or complaint about hand washing. It was my observation that most folks "hit the Purell" every time that they passd by one of the dispensers on the ship. If anything, it was over-used (if that is possible.)
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
This has probably been addressed here before, but I was impressed by how much cleaning your hands was stressed on the Statendam in July.

Before entering the fine dining area, EVERYONE must take a squirt of Purell. Before they give you a tray in the Lido dining room you are reminded to do your hands. Dispensers are located at every evivator on each floor.

They really do an excellent job in stressing the importance to germ controlon the ship. Of course, it is in HAL's own benefit to make sure that no virus takes over the ship, but they do it well and is is easy to comply with if you understand that it insures a pleasant trip for all.

I never recall anyone making a protestation or complaint about hand washing. It was my observation that most folks "hit the Purell" every time that they passd by one of the dispensers on the ship. If anything, it was over-used (if that is possible.)
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mickeyd:

Are you sure they were just washing their hands with the Purell?

And more here!!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
So that's why everybody was so happy on Veendam.

Trouble is, they used it just as extensively on Island Princess and it didn't seem to help there.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 AM

This is interesting info (I thought)....

There was a study on CNN a few months back about the effectiveness of products like Purell. Scientists performed laboratory experiments and found that plain old hydrogen peroxide works better at killing germs on hands than Purell. The difference was very surprising.
I will try and locate the info and post it in this thread.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Purell is about 62% Ethyl Alcohol so it is cheap so they can afford to spread it around the ship.

http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=488

Are you folks saying that there is a better way to fight germs/virus on a ship than this?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mickeyd:
Purell is about 62% Ethyl Alcohol so it is cheap so they can afford to spread it around the ship.

http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=488

Read this.
http://www.asm.org/Media/index.asp?bid=42835
Are you folks saying that there is a better way to fight germs/virus on a ship than this?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Purell is good for instant sanitation, but soap and hot water is still the best....

Happy Cruising...

Bob E
Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

I concur. Simple soap and hot water is still the best way to wash away "the bad stuff". "Wash Away" being the operative words.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

These stations were also set up at each dining area on Celebrity's Century during our cruise last month. One thing I noticed is that many pax used it on their palms only, completely ignoring fingertips!

Closed Thread

Tags
evivator, experiments, purell