Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM

F-Mattox, you are so right about the Master Chefs Signature dinner, it was so much fun. We really enjoyed it. The parade of baked Alaska was also cool, made for great pictures.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe just for that one night they could have two seatings for dinner and no "anytime". Since it's new to the Holland America crowd there might not be too much resistance.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

I'd be interested to see how this plays out in the months following implementation. My feeling is that this concept might work on the newer, larger ships, but may need to be rethought on the "S-class" and possibly the "R-class" ships that attract pax seeking a more traditional experience overall. We recently booked a cruise for next summer in Alaska, and noted that many of the "S-class" ships were already waitlisting the early and main dining room seatings...10 to 11 months out.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Lisa, I'm curious, what are S-class and R-class ships?

We're booked on a 30 day HAL cruise this January and I'd like one week fixed seating, changing each week. That way we'd meet a good variety of people and still look forward to meeting a new set the second week. Bet that's too much flexibility to request.

We tired of our four table mates on a 14 day cruise -- and they probably tired of us too. We exhausted most neutral topics of conversation and were ready for a switch after the first week. Does that make us shallow conversationalists in 'deep waters'?

Ruth
Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

My apologies, Ruth. I tend to write in acronyms or nicknames every once in a while, without thinking.

The so-called S-class ships are Statendam and her sisters (or very near sisters), which are all approximately 55K tons with passenger capacity between 1200-1300. These are Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, and Veendam.

R-class includes the slightly larger Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, and Amsterdam -- approximately 60K and 1300-1400 pax.

As an aside, HAL also has a Vista class, consisting of Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Noordam, and Westerdam, which are about 80K tons and hold about 1900. These are the ones that tend to attract more families, from what I hear.

I can't imagine anyone tiring of your company. But, I do know what you mean. You may be able to request table changes, particularly if your cruise is one that is offered in segments.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Ours is round trip from San Diego -- so we'll have to decide whether or not to request fixed dining. If we go that route we'll ask to be seated at the largest table possible with the idea of sitting at different ends from time to time.

We have enjoyed meeting different people at breakfast and lunch in the dining room and often would have like to continue real conversations. We also loved the more international mix we encountered at these meals.

Ruth

Ruth
Old 09-09-2007, 06:24 PM
That's an interesting idea--changing places at the table; but you know what? We tried that and found out that people are very territorial--to the point of getting, "aren't you sitting in my seat?"

I think for a 30 day cruise I would opt for the flexible dining; then if I find some folks I really hit it off with, we could reserve a table when we wanted to dine together. 30 days is a long time at one table, and changing tables can be tricky if you don't hit it off.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 AM

That's sound advice from a more experienced cruiser. I just like the idea of getting to know one waiter and establishing some sort of relationship.

Gosh if people get territorial over dining seats, no wonder the UN peace keeping missions are struggling!

Ruth
Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 AM
You can actually have the best of both worlds; pick the flexible dining, then when you find a waiter you really like, make a standing reservation for a table at his station.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Brilliant suggestion! Never thought of such an easy solution. And we've been talking also of simply asking new friends if we could meet at a certain time to dine with them.

And I have Soooo many meals to prepare before I enjoy royal service.

Ruth

Closed Thread

Tags
america, american, anytime, cruise, dine, dining, dinning, holland, meal, meals, open, plan, review, reviews, seating