Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Hello,

Even after 17 cruises my wife has to know everything about our upcoming cruise on the Volendam's 7/20 B to B to Alaska.

Does anyone know how we can check to see what cabins are still available for this cruise? We would rather not bother our TA with this question.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 06-21-2007, 04:10 PM

There are 23... no wait a minute, 22... uh now there are 21...

Just teasing a little. If you're already booked what difference could it make to her to know how many are left? If you haven't booked and there are any left it's time to book. You're very close to the sailing date.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
The HAL website dosen't tell you how many cabins are left but it does tell you if the ship is full. I checked on Veendam a couple of weeks ago just out of curiosity and it stated "there are no cabins available for this sailing".
Old 06-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Curious you wouldn't want to bother your TA, are they difficult to deal with? At any rate, this is a great place to ask those questions.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:01 PM

Your T/A can in fact pull up the ship inventory and let you know what's still available. That is unless they have categories in Gty status which means reandom assignment, those you can't count. They just assign them until all the cabins are gone and close the sailing.

Ken, you know those travel agents. They can be a real pain. They might even try selling you travel insurance.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your prompt responses. We have a very good TA, and he patiently answers all of our questions and requests. In this particular situation we are part of HAL's 3 day sale program with a guarantee. Our TA has been very well taken care of over the years (we have used him or his company for 16 of our 18 cruises), but I really did not want to take up his time on a question like this one.

Thanks again,

Fred
Old 06-22-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
Ken, you know those travel agents. They can be a real pain. They might even try selling you travel insurance.
Neil, I think some folks still think that somehow they pay more through an agent than doing there booking online. (not the OP, and probably not many here on cruise chat), after all, you are not quite in the category of an attorney and you guys work full time in the industry so I think you probably know your stuff!!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Yeah, I was just poking a little fun at the perception that sometimes surfaces about agents.

Fruby, I'm really happy to hear you have a good agent. There are many in the industry. Just like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. The poke at agents was tongue in cheek, I am one.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
I'm really happy to hear you have a good agent. There are many in the industry. Just like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones.
the problem is Neil, that if you do not have alot of experience of travel agents...how do you get to know who is good & who is bad.
Now I am from the uk and have just started this year to use an american agent,who I used for my princess cruise in may but to tell you the truth ,I really don't know if he was good or just ok...I got a decent price for the cruise but I never got onboard credit like some forum members have but then I never knew that some people could get that extra.
So my question is that if you don't know anyone ...how can you tell if your agent is good or bad.
About wanting to know how many cabins are left...its funny its the sort of thing I would want to know even after booking and the reason....it gives you an idea of how full the cruise is.
regards Jack

Old 07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Neil, don't most ships sail at near 100% capacity? Even a repositioning cruise from say Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver will lose some at Acapulco, L.A. or San Francisco; but if the marketing department is on the ball the vacancies will be filled as a "coastal cruise".

I don't think I've ever heard anybody say, "gee, we're only at 70% capacity this cruise". With all the retirees able to travel at the drop of a hat I can't imagine any ship sailing at much less than 100%.

Yes? No?

Closed Thread

Tags
agent, america, american, assign, cabins, category, cruise, days, european, guarantee, holland, left, showing, ta, travel, uk, usuall