Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 PM

The title says it all. I would certainly your personal stories about this wonderful ship. The lastest satus about the ship is what interests me more. I have been very impressed on the vessel's renovation progress. I certainly hope that the other famous ships in service will follow this example.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Dan. I am also glad that she has been saved, and I am also following her progress. As you are undoubtedly well aware, she had undergone few alterations during her ocean-going life, unlike our SS Norway. I look forward to visiting her someday... it's an easy hop across the Atlantic for us.

Rotterdam was actually my first ship. Sadly, I wasn't a passenger, but this was back in the days when you could board a ship for a bon voyage party. My grandparents were sailing from New York to Nassau and Freeport. I believe it was 1974 or 1975, so I was about 10 years old. I remember being in awe of the ship's size. I also recall my grandparents' cabin, where the BV party was held. It was an interior cabin, the beds in an L-configuration, and I seem to recall that the walls were a light blue. Yet, I wish I could recall more, or anything, about the public areas. I wonder if I was on her famous stairtower.

My grandparents sailed with another couple, and they all loved the ship and the voyage. My grandmother talked about it for months afterwards. I remember her saying that there was everything on the ship that one could possibly want. She marveled at the movie theatre. "They showed everything but 'The Poseidon Adventure' and 'Jaws,'" she said.

My grandparents are now gone, and one of the items I inherited was their photo album from that trip.

Thank you for letting me reminisce.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Dan,

I understand the ship is to be opened in Rotterdam next spring. The ship's web site was recently updated and now includes information about available accommodations etc.

I hope to see her during a planned port call in Rotterdam during a short cruise next May.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM

I'm actually looking for info on the ships auditorium, and then mainly film screenings. Any stories, anecdotes or info is welcome. What was shown? Were there special screenings of travelogues and such? Were the features cut and edited like airline screenings? Again, any info is welcome. Here's an old postcard I have of the auditorium, which was also used as a theater and a church: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pulp-o-...7594130022929/

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cruise, holland, latest, line, news, reviews, rotterdam, ss