Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 04:27 PM

Hello!
I am a “newbie” and this is my first post. I find the Chat to be very informative.
My wife and I booked the November 20th ms Rotterdam South America Explorer cruise departing Rio, 16 days to Valparaiso. And in between, around the Horn, Falkland Islands, Usuahia.
All of this presents a big “what to pack and wear” problem, as it seams to me that we’ll start the cruise in humid, eighty degrees weather, then sail into cold, windy latitudes, and back to worm climes.
(I know, I know, I wish I had this “problem” more often!)
Has anybody gone through this type of cruising before, with HAL or any other company?
Is it really going to be that cold down by the Horn? I was told “layers” is the solution, but even that takes up a lot of packing space and weight. It’s going to look pretty funny getting off the plane in Rio carrying a winter coat!
Any advice on this will be very much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:27 PM

Hello!
I am a “newbie” and this is my first post. I find the Chat to be very informative.
My wife and I booked the November 20th ms Rotterdam South America Explorer cruise departing Rio, 16 days to Valparaiso. And in between, around the Horn, Falkland Islands, Usuahia.
All of this presents a big “what to pack and wear” problem, as it seams to me that we’ll start the cruise in humid, eighty degrees weather, then sail into cold, windy latitudes, and back to worm climes.
(I know, I know, I wish I had this “problem” more often!)
Has anybody gone through this type of cruising before, with HAL or any other company?
Is it really going to be that cold down by the Horn? I was told “layers” is the solution, but even that takes up a lot of packing space and weight. It’s going to look pretty funny getting off the plane in Rio carrying a winter coat!
Any advice on this will be very much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:01 AM

The average weather in Usuahia in November is high of 53 and low of 38. Why not take one of those light weight thermal tops that don't take up a lot of room or light weight sweaters. When I travel in the winter from Michigan to warm climates I usually just take a nice blazer. When I leave Michigan I am only jumping out of the car onto a airport shuttle, so I'm not out long enough to get cold. Once I get to the warm climate I take the blazer off. It's handy on days if it would get cooler.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:15 PM

Pack somthing warm if you are a little chicken about the cold but otherwise pack a couple of t-shirts just in case. Oh yah, pack a bathing suit for the hot tub!

Closed Thread

Tags
american, april, climate, cold, cruise, falkland, horn, pack, packing, plane, sail, south, sweaters, warm, wear, weather