Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Are most of the HA cruisers over 50? I'm under 50 and enjoy going on cruises. I also have a teenager . Someone please tell me we will have a good time on our 6/8 med cruise. This is not our first cruise. We have been on several together and always find a way to have a great time. Heads up, my daughter is a well behaved young lady, dons a dress for dinner , knows what fork to start with and to my knowledge has never eaten a grampa for lunch.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Don't sweat it. Although HAL does seem to have an older clientele in general, this is less so during the summer months when schools are out and people cruise with their kids.

So here it is.....you'll have a good time!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks Dave. Have you been to Rome? Can we take a bus into town?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

I haven't been to Rome is ages, and that was when I was in the Navy. I am not up to date on the transportation options from the port to Rome.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Holland is very senior but not exclusively. Ignore the artificaial hips and ****** sold in the gift shop.

Seriously though, the food and service are above average in the industry but the entertainment and hours of things happening aboard are geared toward their main audience, not younger people. They roll up the carpet and expect quiet very early.

The transportaion in Rome is either their transfers or a cab ride that will set you back $160 Euro for the 50 mile trek. About $300. US, buy the transfers!

If you're adding hotels before or after don't get one near the train station. Go to the area around the Spanish Steps. The area around the train station is where they prey on tourists. Lots of pick-pockets and bums.

You'll love Europe except for the prices of things off the ship. A cup of coffee and a dessert at a sidewalk cafe can run up to $50. US.

Happy cruising, Neil
Old 04-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Hello,

Based on our 3/23/2007 cruise to Mexico on the Ryndam, HAL does cater to an older group with excellent food and service. If I were traveling with my daughter when she was your daughter's age, and we wanted to go on a cruise I would look at other cruise lines. If I wanted to treat my mother to a cruise we would go on an HAL ship.

Hope that this helps.

Fred
Old 04-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Hay Dave, I was in the Navy and did the westpac cruises.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Hello,
We recently returned via valendam, 10 day partial panama transit cruise.Beatiful cruise line, great food & destinations.
We are 50, 51. Found that the ship caters to over 65 plus plus....crowd. Not kid friendly no fun activities for children or teens.
Interestingly, we booked through Vacations to go. Discovered our table mates also booked through them. they were close to our age. 55 to 65.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Myra, glad to hear you had a good cruise on Holland America. It's not surprising that your tablemates booked their cruise through the same company as you. Vacations To Go probably blocks group space on many sailings, and cruise lines tend to seat people together who are in the same group.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
cruises, ha