Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 PM

WOO HOO - we just got the docs for our December Mexican Riviera cruise! We've got a port side veranda - this'll be the first time we've sailed out of San Diego.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Just ordered our Bombay Sapphire - it'll be waiting for us in our suite when we arrive.

Now hear this - sailaway gin and tonics being served on the veranda!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 PM

I'm doing my doc dance for you! I'll be boarding the Emerald Princess Friday, Lord willing. I promise to have a toast to you! Bon Voyage
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Wish I could join you for those gin and tonics.

have a great time. I can't beleive you have never departed from San Diego before. I would have thought that to be one of the closer ports to you.

Bon Voyage!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Congratulations on the documents! What a super itinerary. I look forward to hearing your comments on both the itinerary and Oosterdam.

Enjoy your short countdown!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 AM

Have a great cruise! Ya gotta love living near a cruise port.

Sandy
Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 AM

WOO HOO

We were just notified last night that we had been upgraded to a Suite. We were just going to do a Deluxe Veranda this trip since it was only a seven-day but I'll take an upgrade anytime!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Please be sure to let us know how the other half cruises in style! Congratulations on the upgrade, how wonderful! By the way, the Emerald Princess was magnificent. I really think you and your significant other would enjoy the Crown Grill and Sabatinis. The Black and Blue onion soup in the Crown was fantastic. Can't wait to hear about the Oosterdam. Bon Voyage
Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM

We're back! The Oosterdam was very interesting. She is the largest HAL ship we have sailed on and she was at capacity.

With that said, we never felt crowded nor did we have to stand in any lines, ever! Sure, in the Lido, if you were at a station that was cooking to order, you waited, but never for very long. With four, fixed seatings (they have not yet implemented open dining), there were always open tables in the dining room.

The Pinnacle Grill (the fee-based alternate restaurant) was much larger on this Vista Class ship and it was beautifully decorated. Of course, the food and service were superlative!

All of the public rooms which I either walked past or went into were in use but we never had to wait for a table. Again, they are all larger than on the other class ships.

Now, the accomodations - we were on a guarantee and had been upgraded to a Superior Veranda Suite (larger than a Std Veranda but smaller than the Deluxe Veranda) and frankly, for the shorter cruise, we found it more than adequate for us and large enough for a (small) cocktail party. We had the opportunity to look at the Deluxe Veranda Suite on this ship and although the Suite itself is the same (+/-) size as on the Rotterdam for example, the veranda itself is probably 1/2 the depth so you don't get chaises, you get club chairs with ottomans and you don't get a table for four but a table for two - the same configuration as we had on the Superior. Am I saying not to book a Deluxe? Absolutely not! Our experiences in Deluxe suites have been wonderful. I was merely giving my observations on the minor differences between the Vista class ships vs. the S class.

Food has always been subjective and will always be subjective. My observations are that there were fewer selections on the menu than I have had in the past; which I believe had to do with the fact that this was a "bargain" sailing. The menu choices did not reprise what I've had in the past on longer, more expensive sailings. Coincidence? I don't think so. The quality however was very good as was the presentation and service (as usual).

More later!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 AM

Welcome back. Sounds like all in all you'd give the Oosterdam a big thumbs up. How many passengers does she hold? It seems like they keep making them bigger, which doesn't always equate to better. I know the more passengers, the more revenue, but sometimes I wish they'd just add more ships. Not larger ships. Oh well, you don't have long to wait for your next one. Can't wait to see what you book for Tahiti! Happy Holidays!!

Closed Thread