Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 PM

My wife and I just booked a cruise on the Zuiderdam for the easterncaribbean on 10/27/07.
Any recommendations from you veterans? We are celebrating the end of her chemo and radiation treatments for recurrent breast cancer. Need a relaxing time in the sun.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 PM

My wife and I just booked a cruise on the Zuiderdam for the easterncaribbean on 10/27/07.
Any recommendations from you veterans? We are celebrating the end of her chemo and radiation treatments for recurrent breast cancer. Need a relaxing time in the sun.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM

gss, I don't have particular recommendations for the Zuiderdam, but I wanted to say how happy I am to read that your wife is finished with chemo and radiation. Going on a cruise at any time is wonderful, but going as a landmark that those treatments are behind you makes this very special. I wish you a wonderful time, and pray that your wife's cancer is truly behind her now.

Sandy
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful message. Prayers and good thoughts from people like you have helped sustain my wife and family through this year.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM

gss, congratulations to your wife, I hope by the time we sail in November I too can say that my cancer is behind me. What ports will you be visiting? Do y'all enjoy snorkeling? I've not sailed on the Zuiderdam, but have sailed on HAL before. The ships are very well maintained, and the staff has been extremely accomodating. For my taste, the food has been lacking, but I sure didn't go hungry. I'd be happy to try and help suggest some things for your ports. It is truly a blessing that she has made it, and here's praying for many, many more years of being cancer free!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM

I wish only good news for your health as well.
We are scheduled to visit Turks and Caicos, Tortola, St Thomas, and Half Moon Cay. My wife Jerri will not want to do anything strenuous. I read that at half moon cay you may be able to reserve a clamshell on the beach. Jerri wants to be near the water but not take in too much sun. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM

I can understand not wanting anything too strenuous. Grand Turk built a really nice terminal area with shops and a beach area right there. I'm sure you could find or rent an umbrella, because the lounge chairs were free when we were there in December. In Tortola, we did 2 great catamaran sail/snorkels, which she might be interested in just the catamaran sail part. Also, we took a cab around the island. He took us to a restaurant that overlooked where the Caribbean and the Atlantic met. It was beautiful, you could honestly see like a line in the water from the different shades of blue. He then took us to a beach on the northwest side of the island. There was some shade available and it was a nice beach. Some locals were selling beer from their coolers for $1/ea. I've not done the tour of the Baths on Virgin Gorda, so I don't know how strenuous that is, but I've heard it's a great tour. My normal suggestion for St. Thomas is to take the ferry to St. John and a cab to Trunk Bay because it is so beautiful there, but the travel might be too much for Jerri. Magen's Bay, Coki Beach and Sapphire Beach are on the island of St. Thomas and they are nice beaches. Sapphire has a lot of small rocks to cross while getting into the water and the water is choppy if the wind is high, but it is a pretty beach and they will rent lounge chairs. I personally prefer Magen's Bay, but that's my opinion only. We've also taken some great catamaran sail/snorkels, again she might like the sailing part. Half Moon Cay is beautiful and it should be a great relaxing beach day. If you're into shopping, St. Thomas is the best place for bargains. Once again, my prayers are with you and your wife. This is the best cure I can think of!

Closed Thread