Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Scheduled to leave on the Amsterdam on June 8th from Seattle. Was poking around on the internet yesterday and found Travelocity offering a DELUXE VERANDA SUITE for over $800.00 LESS than what I had paid for a category B balcony. As I'm travelling alone, the cruise is already costing me a bundle -- it sure would be nice if Holland America considered upgrading their already booked passengers to better cabins before slashing prices for new bookings to fill the ship. (I phoned Holland America -- their response: (essentially) "too bad, so sad, can't help ya" So much for all the 'book early! book early!' hype. I'll think twice before I 'book early' again.

Ouch
Old 05-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Scheduled to leave on the Amsterdam on June 8th from Seattle. Was poking around on the internet yesterday and found Travelocity offering a DELUXE VERANDA SUITE for over $800.00 LESS than what I had paid for a category B balcony. As I'm travelling alone, the cruise is already costing me a bundle -- it sure would be nice if Holland America considered upgrading their already booked passengers to better cabins before slashing prices for new bookings to fill the ship. (I phoned Holland America -- their response: (essentially) "too bad, so sad, can't help ya" So much for all the 'book early! book early!' hype. I'll think twice before I 'book early' again.

Ouch
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 AM

That's the first I've ever heard of any cruise line not adjusting the fare. They didn't even offer you an on board credit? Try getting someone's supervisor, that just doesn't seem right.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 AM

Agreed -- it just doesn't seem right to me either. Alas, I'm a novice at all this 'cruise stuff' though. Perhaps I should have pressed the issue further. Even my travel agent tried with them to no avail. Seems like bad business practice if they want to secure repeat cruisers. I suspect this will color my impression of HAL considerably. A simple upgrade or offer of onboard credit would have colored it favorably whereas... oh well. Live and learn.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 AM

I'd keep pushing it. Last year we had booked a balcony on Princess a year in advance of our cruise. The price dropped $150/pp. I called Princess and they adjusted the fare. I hadn't paid for the cruise in full. If I had, they would have issued me an on board credit. Keep trying until you find someone that will make this right for you!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I just might have to do with the Travelocity pricing. Last year when HAL reduced the price of our cruise, I called and had no problems with them adjusting our price to the posted price. The rep I talked with was exceptionally helpful and talked me through my options to deal with the cost difference (upgrade or lower price for same booked cabin). I would call back and find out their reasoning.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM

quote:
That's the first I've ever heard of any cruise line not adjusting the fare. They didn't even offer you an on board credit? Try getting someone's supervisor, that just doesn't seem right.

HAL didn't "have" to adjust the fare unless the fare in Bob's particular category went down. If he's booked in a Cat. B, and the more expensive Cat. A now costs less than the Cat. B when he bought it, they use that as the loophole for not changing his fare. Had he bought a Cat. A and then the price of that category went down, they'd be much more likely to adjust the fare.

That said, I agree that is just makes good business sense to give him some concession(s) to keep him happy and keep him coming back. I hope the travel agent spoke to their HAL sales rep about this, and not just a reservations agent at the 800-number.

Sandy
Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Would recommend exploring alternative sites.
We booked through vacations to go. Great service great savings.
Also met passengers who recommend cruise.com
Old 05-13-2007, 02:27 PM

quote:
I'd keep pushing it. Last year we had booked a balcony on Princess a year in advance of our cruise. The price dropped $150/pp. I called Princess and they adjusted the fare. I hadn't paid for the cruise in full. If I had, they would have issued me an on board credit. Keep trying until you find someone that will make this right for you!

Penny, you had the price adjusted by PCL because it was not in penalty which begins at the final payment due date. HAL and PCL and others opperate the same when it comes to adjustments after the penalty period begins. They do not typically make any adjustments to fares or offer onboard credits, upgrades or any other considerations. There are a few lines that do work with you even inside penalty, Carnival, RCI and Celeb are the best about offering upgrades or credits if a rate drops inside penalty. They way they justify it often as Sandy says, "that's not the same category you booked". If it is the same Cat there is a whole bag full of other reasons (excuses) offered... "This promotion is a special promotion, for new bookings only". All PCL rates offered after penalty and most HAL are listed specifically as for new bookings only.

When you do actually reach a manager at the cruiselines the response is worded differently but always the same result. One once asked me if I bought a sweater for the winter season and it went down when the clearance sales started at the end of the season, would I expect the difference to be refunded? Great way to word it but in my opinion the season isn't over on a cruise until you disembark.

Happy sailing, Neil
Old 05-13-2007, 02:35 PM

Myra, I love your recommendation but in this case, the cruiselines policies are the only thing that matters. Even VTG and the other companies booking millions of dollars worth of cruises for the cruise lines have no pull in these matters. I speak from first hand experience. Glad you had such a good experience with VTG. Since you're even newer here than I am, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Really glad to have you input.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread