Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Hello All,
Taking our first cruise on HAL to Alaska in June. Traveling with my husband and 2 daughters. As we are all staying in one room, I want to keep clothes to a minimum for the sake of space. Cruised in the Carrib. 1.5 yrs. ago on another line and had sets of clothes for each day. Even though I kept it VERY organized (in ziploc bags for each set)we were over run with clothes. With the different cruising location and different clothes being required, I would like to take alot less and wash it. What kind of laundry facilities are available? We have to fly cross country to catch the ship and really want to take as little as possible. Any info. or advice? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:59 PM

No private laundry facilities but for $12 they will wash as much as you can put in a bag. The bags hold quite a bit. I traveled the Oosterdam 2 years ago. Have a great trip.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:19 AM

Hey Greyson,
Thank you so much for you reply. That helps alot! Gradmom
Old 09-21-2006, 07:53 AM

Is this the same for all HAL ships? I'm sailing on the Amsterdam and I see on the deck plans they have a launderette. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 AM

Its not true for all of HAL ships but is for the Oosterdam. The Ryndam also had a laundry facility but we would never have had time to wash things anyway. When we were on days where we were just in Glacier Bay and College Fjords we wanted to be outside to see the glaciers. I have no clue what they cost either.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 AM

Hey Gradmom, would you see if there is still a cabin steward that goes by the name Moose on there? His real name is something Musayfak. Ive been wondering what happened to him after the tsunami since he was from Indonesia.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:24 PM

Hey Greyson,
I would be happy to check on Moose. I will let you know what I find out.
Gradmom
Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 AM

Very awesome gradmom. Thanks a big bunch. When do you take your cruise? I have only been home 2 weeks from mine and Im ready to go again. Also your capt will be Jonathan Mercer. He is such a nice guy. We had a cruise director named Cat. She called herself Cat Cat the Bingo Brat. What a fun crew we had.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 AM

We go in June. Did you take the Alaska cruise? Any tips on excursions?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Sure....In Juneau we took the whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour. We saw a lot of whales and sealions, some even playing together. Make sure you stop into the Red Dog Saloon. Also take the tram up Mt. Roberts, it is a gorgeous view from up there and have a wild bird exhibit with a bald eagle. It is a great place to check out. In Ketchikan we did a rain forest walk last cruise and it was interesting, even saw bear. This year we took a trolley ride which was cool too. We didnt have much time in Ketchikan this time. In Sitka we did another rainforest walk, took a boat out to a salmon hatchery and then just spent time walking around on our own. My mom and mother-in-law went to Totem Park which they enjoyed. In Victoria we did a horse drawn trolley tour as well and we got off downtown to look around. Took a Kabuki taxi (a 2 person cart pulled by someone on a bike) back to the ship. If you go to Skagway, do the train up the Whitepass/Yukon. That was gorgeous. If you want more info email me at greyson_kitty@hotmail.com. You will have a great time.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, charges, cruise, facilities, facility, holland, hollandamerica, laundrette, laundry, layout, oosterdam, ossterham, package, service, ship, tsunami