Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Any real negitives on the Rotterdam for a world cruise? I was afraid that the Princess Tahitian might rock to much for my wife for a long cruise because of a shorter ship length.So we are thinking of changing our status with princess that we are now booked on. Would you compare the lines equally? Help

Flyingdutchman
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Rotterdam is significantly larger than Tahitian Princess but still relatively small by todays cruiseship standards. They were built just two years apart so they're close to the same age. Holland is generally a little older crowd although on a World cruise both will be predominantly senior, the only age category that has that much time for such a cruise is retirees.

Both ships get glowing reviews. On a site I use frequently the Tahitian gets 4 stars and the Rotterdam gets 5 but the star ratings can be misleading. On the site I'm referring to they are a compilation of a number of rating systems by different sources. It's heavily weighted by feedback from actual passenger surveys upon their return so it's not just the cruising press and a handful of writers opinions.

I think either ship would be a great experience. If you want early dining you'll often have to book a year or more in advance as it is the first to fill and fills quickly. With the personal choice dining as an option now on both lines it won't be the big problem it was in the past.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Any real negitives on the Rotterdam for a world cruise?
Absolutely not! I sailed her from Valparaiso around Cape Horn to Rio last December. Off the Falklands, we experienced 30 foot seas with a 75 knot wind across our bow. She rode the seas very nicely and we were able to enjoy our breakfast in the dining room. We had the pleasure of sailing in a Deluxe Veranda Suite (S7038) and our friends (see below) were next door in (S7036) so we had the steward open the door between the verandas. On longer cruises, the space in those suites with their larger verandas are, IMHO, well worth the added cost. Also, access to the Neptune Lounge and the concierge service (not to mention the free cappuccinos, cookies and other goodies) is priceless!

We sailed her predecessor 20 years ago to Caracas. She was quite a ship. Thanks to the daughter of our sailing companions (who made friends with all of the eligible Dutch officers within hours of boarding every HA ship we sailed) we were given a tour of the engine room. That was fun!

With that said, I think the World Cruise on the Princendam would be fabulous - she's on my list of "to dos"!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 PM

The Tahitian Princess is a former R Ship with unparalleled pseudo-Edwardian decor and as much as half the passenger capacity compared to Rotterdam VI, if you care about ambiance and intimacy.

On the other hand, the service that we experienced aboard the Holland America ship last May was excellent. It was among the few times I can say that a motto is true ('A tradition of Excellence' in this case). Personnel friendliness, overall organization and attention to detail in both hardware and software were excellent.

Whatever you choose, it will be wonderful...

Closed Thread

Tags
hal, s7036