Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   Ryndam, 30 days (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/35273-ryndam-30-days.html)

Novice Senior 08-15-2007 12:17 PM

We are considering a 30 day cruise round trip from San Diego in Jan. 08. We would book a lower deck window cabin. Dare we hope for a possible upgrade closer to sailing? Any advice for such a long cruise? We have only had two other cruises and they were just 7 and 14 days.

Novice Senior 08-15-2007 12:17 PM

We are considering a 30 day cruise round trip from San Diego in Jan. 08. We would book a lower deck window cabin. Dare we hope for a possible upgrade closer to sailing? Any advice for such a long cruise? We have only had two other cruises and they were just 7 and 14 days.

Greyson 08-15-2007 03:28 PM

We had a lower deck window cabin and we loved it. It was nice to have the curtain open at night and let the moon shine in. Our room was 831 on the main deck. We loved it. It was the next to the last room on that floor, so we only had 1 neighbor as well. We were toward the back of the ship.

f-mattox 08-15-2007 04:36 PM

Hello Novice Senior and welcome to cruise-chat.

Un upgrade is always a possibility if you book a "guarantee" catagory. But even if you don't get the upgrade, an outside cabin on a lower deck is just fine.

I, like Greyson, had an oceanview third from the last on A deck on Veendam (844) and loved it. No problems with vibration, noise or ventilation. And the view of the ocean from that vantage point was quite nice.

I've never been on a cruise that long but I can't think of any special advice--other than maybe to avoid the temptation to overpack. It's a long cruise but with the laundry and dry cleaning facilities onboard, you shouldn't need any more than you would take on a two week cruise.

Have a wonderful time. By the way, where are you sailing for 30 days out of San Diego? Just curious.

Novice Senior 08-16-2007 08:07 AM

Master Cruiser and Cruise Guru,

Thanks to each of you for offering first hand experience on a window deck.

FYI Cruise Guru, it's a 30 day round trip cruise from San Diego. Because of the distances there are many sea days. After several energetic travel adventures to exotic lands I'm looking forward to a relaxing winter holiday. My husband is less sure, so we'll see. He's still ready for more strenuous adventures.

Novice Senior 08-16-2007 08:09 AM

Oops, I forgot to answer fully your question.

The ship only visits Hawaii and French Polynesia.

f-mattox 08-16-2007 08:28 AM

Sounds like my kind of cruise; I love lots of sea days.
We did a round trip to Hawaii from L.A. in April and loved it.

Loved it so much we'll probably do it again in a couple of years; and next time on Holland America.

Crusin' fools 09-16-2007 06:24 AM

We have taken this cruise once before and are booked again for the Jan 08' cruise. We have already been upgraded from an inside to an outside. They have droppped the price by over $2000 since we booked. I think you have a good chance of getting an upgrade, but is is a chance and no promises. So book the level you will be comfortable with regardless.
PS You should have no trouble with a longer cruise is you enjoy sea days and can entertain yourself a bit. We adore sea days and prefer longer cruises. This will be our 18th cruise with HAL for a total of 270 days.

Novice Senior 09-16-2007 10:16 AM

Thanks, Carter. If you're doing it a second time it obviously was a good cruise for you.

We have booked. There was a special cruise/fly offer to new HAL potential travellers. Only window and inside cabins were part of the offer. We've booked a window, but as I check on line it appears that all the balconeys are sold. But we're content.

We have a good TA so hopefully she'll monitor things for us.

Ruth

Novice Senior 09-16-2007 10:28 AM

PS Do you have favourite shore excursions for this 30 day cruise? We plan to preregister on line closer to the time of sailing.

Ruth