Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Which side faces Hamilton City when docked? We're booked on the port side of the Veendam, but someone told me that is a harbor view -- they say we should be on the starboard side to be facing Front Street
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 PM
emljpl - As I seem to recall - if your ship will be docked on the Port side in Hamilton Bermuda you will have a city view! It is convenient off and on right into the heart of Hamilton and Front Street!!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-05-2009, 01:42 PM
BillyBuzzy,
I have some questions about Bermuda. We are docking at the Royal Shipyard, last time we were on a smaller ship and docked in St George, but from the Royal shipyard can you walk to Somerset beach ? I think one time you mentioned a pass for a transportation around the Island that you could buy at the pier ?? I have been to Horse Shoe Bay but what is your favorite ? It sounded like you been there several times any tips would be great, we get 3 full days there on the NCL Dawn

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator

I hope you don't mind if I jump in, janfred. The Bermuda transportation system offers several types of passes for travel on the bus and/or ferry. The last couple of times we were there, we purchased the 3-day passes and they were very well worth it. Ours covered the ferry, as well, which was the easiest and quickest way to get from St. George (where we were docked) to King's Wharf. The ferry terminal will be very close to your ship, and you can purchase the passes there.

I haven't been to Somerset beach, sorry.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Thank you again Lisa, I do believe that is what we will do ! Not too long away for this one !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
janfred - My last trip to Bermuda was aboard the NCL Dawn in Oct 2008. It was the best cruise I have ever taken (for sad personal reasons - it was to be the last cruise my S.O. a would ever be able to take)!!!

LisaP is entirely on the money regarding the purchase of the multiday bus/water taxi pass. For a three day pass it was $28/pp and provided unlimited transportation thruout Bermuda.They offer 1 and 2 day passes also! The passes can be purchased at a kiosk right on King's Wharf - about 25 yards from where you will debark the ship!! It is well marked and easy to find!!

The Bemudians are a friendly and communicative people and by speaking with them right at the kiosk you will quickly learn all the latest as to what's happening , where it's happening and how to get there. Bermuda is a place you will return to again and again!!

There is no such thing as a "bad" beach in Bermuda!!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 AM
janfred - By the way, I'd suggest you bring some very comfortable walking shoes if you plan on walking to any beach from King's Wharf - Bermuda is a long string of islands linked together by causeways! But the bus/water taxi system is fabulous!!

Plan to make a stop at the Swizzle Inn for an original Bermuda "Rum Swizzzle"" to cool your tootsies after a long walk!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-06-2009, 04:31 AM
BillyBuzzy.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write, you to LisaP, I appreciate the great information. SO am I understanding that you can get dropped off at any beach and picked back up the public transportation ? Where is the swizzle Inn ? I printed out the baggage tags yesterday so I am getting close, hope the storms are all gone

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 AM
janfred - Buses 1,3,10 and 11 will all take you by The Swizzzle Inn. There are two Inns but the one located at 3 Blue Hole Hill in Bailey's Bay, Hamilton is the oldest and the original. It is roughly a half mile from the airport and is between Hamilton and St. George's. It is the oldest pub in Bermuda with great eats and , of course, Rum Swizzles (One of their national drinks!!!) (Then,too, there is always a Dark and Stormy!)

The people of Bermuda are called "Onions" and the Yachting crowd refers to Bermuda as "the Onion Patch"!! If you call a Bermudian an "Onion" it is quite OK if said in a friendly tone - if you use it in a bar you will be expected to purchase him the next beverage of his choice!

The second facility is called simply "The Swizzle" and is much closer to King's Wharf being located at 87 South Shore Road in Warwick. It is not as atmospheric as the original but the cocktails and the eats are equally as good as the original. In any case the busdrivers will be sure to deliver you (and stop to pick you up!)

Bermuda is a real fun place and NCL gives you plenty of days to explore!! Wish I was sailing on the Dawn with you! My heart is there!! I love late October in Bermuda!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
OK, so why do I think you have lived there?

Thank you so much for the great information, I truly do appreciate it! I wished you were sailing with us too...what great fun !

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
bermuda, close, cruises, docking, festival, hamilton, harbor, harbour, inn, king, kins, port, rum, starboard, swizzle, veendam, wharf