Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Default Panama Canal
DW and I are considering an April HAL cruise San Diego-Ft Lauderdale. Have any of you folks taken that trip? Comments? Alternate considerations?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator

That is a cruise on my bucket list. I'd love a longer cruise and transiting the canal.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi Mickeyd; I've done that cruise twice but I went Westbound, Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles, and I went on Princess. But I imagine the experience would be very similar. It is one of the best cruise experiences I've had. The Canal has to be seen up close to be fully appreciated. And it was a chance to see some new ports and countries. I don't know what HAL"s itinerary is; but we saw Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Guatemala, among others.

So yes, it's a cruise that I would recommend to everyone.

I would strongly suggest getting a balcony cabin for this cruise because it can get very crowded at the railings at the points of interest along the Canal. We spent most of the transit on our balcony, taking full advantage of room service.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
We are looking at a HAL Panama Canal cruise in April 2012... I expecially like the itineraries - they being more port intensive than other lines we've looked at. Also, they are also less expensive than those others we've look at. We prefer HAL, so it's nice to know that they will fit our needs for this big cruise experience. Please let us know how the April time frame is weather-wise. And good choice...
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
I would strongly suggest getting a balcony cabin for this cruise because it can get very crowded at the railings at the points of interest along the Canal. We spent most of the transit on our balcony, taking full advantage of room service.
Thanks for the idea. I can see how a balcony during the day that you cross the PC would be wonderful, but that's only one day out of 14. I'm wondering if it's worth the price increase at any other port or activity? As I recall the difference in price was not cheap.

Closed Thread

Tags
advage, america, balcony, canal, cruise, cruises, cruising, forums, holland, nicaragua, panama, refiews, reviews, taking, worth