Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   Local Currency Needs? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/36497-local-currency-needs.html)

mickeyd 02-04-2011 02:56 PM

Local Currency Needs?
 
Our PC cruise will have stops in Mexico, Guatemala, Panama and Columbia. I assume that it will be necessary to carry some local currency in each of these countries. Can we acquire local cash on board the ship (Statendam) prior to disembarking and turn it back in to dollars if we do not spend it all?

Sandy 02-04-2011 03:10 PM

Since cruise ships stop there all the time, they probably take US dollars, as well as credit cards. The ship doesn't issue any foreign currency.

wendy_woo2 02-07-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeyd (Post 285248)
Our PC cruise will have stops in Mexico, Guatemala, Panama and Columbia. I assume that it will be necessary to carry some local currency in each of these countries. Can we acquire local cash on board the ship (Statendam) prior to disembarking and turn it back in to dollars if we do not spend it all?

Been to all of these ports and they all take US dollars

mickeyd 02-11-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy_woo2 (Post 285357)
Been to all of these ports and they all take US dollars


Thanks for the info. BTW, I called HAL (866#) and was told that they can sell us foreign currency onboard and will buy it back if we don't use it.

susanmaz 02-22-2011 11:49 AM

With your US dollars, remember to carry smaller bills - $5s & $1s . . . maybe a few $10s. You will most likely not get change for a $20 for a $5 purchase. Also - expect to get your change in local currency when using USD

mickeyd 02-22-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanmaz (Post 285715)
With your US dollars, remember to carry smaller bills - $5s & $1s . . . maybe a few $10s. You will most likely not get change for a $20 for a $5 purchase. Also - expect to get your change in local currency when using USD

Thanks for the insightful suggestion susanmaz, I will visit my bank prior to leaving home and load up on the $1s and $5s.

Berick1234 04-14-2011 01:43 PM

When getting back aboard the ship, there will be a box to donate any of your foreign currancy....It will go to a good cause.....Happy Sailing...

Bob E


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2