Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   Cocktails/Wine (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/36577-cocktails-wine.html)

mickeyd 02-20-2011 03:34 PM

Cocktails/Wine

The last time we cruised on HAL (2007, Alaska, Statendam) we were required to purchase a card in order to drink wine or a bar drink. I think we got a card that had 20 wine hits and a cocktail card that had, maybe, only 10 hits. Is this still the way that they do it on the Statendam, or can you purchase it one at a time?

Dave 02-20-2011 04:03 PM

I've never heard of anything like that being a requirement to buy drinks. Was there anything special about your Statendam cruise, such as it being a charter or you were in a large group?

susanmaz 02-22-2011 11:46 AM

We just returned from the Zaandam - - there is no requirement for a beverage card. We've been on HAL 5 times since 2000 and have never been required to purchase a card - just order and give the smiling bar tender or server your key card.

mickeyd 02-22-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanmaz (Post 285714)
We just returned from the Zaandam - - there is no requirement for a beverage card. We've been on HAL 5 times since 2000 and have never been required to purchase a card - just order and give the smiling bar tender or server your key card.

Again, thanks for updating me on their policy. But, I could not buy a cocktail from the bar unless I had that damn card in 2007...

susanmaz 02-23-2011 08:43 AM

You can buy beverage cards - in fact, I bought one as a gift for my husband. We found it a pain, because he had to carry a second card to use. It might be easier to to pre-purchase an on-board credit - same thing, different name. . . Also, all of the bar/lounge servers carried beverage cards for sale during the entire cruise. Not sure the purpose of that, but, there ya go, I'm not a marketing major. Anyway, when the dollars on the beverage card were used up, we were still able to buy things in the bars and lounges....

mickeyd 04-07-2011 06:06 PM

Just returned from my Panama Canal 14 day cruise. They still offer drink cards i.e. for $45 (or $90) you can get $50 in drinks (or $100) but the drinks still cost that same. Only benefit is that you get a $5 ($10) up front cut in price. Ocean bar and Crows Nest happy hour (2 for 1) is still tops.

catiemor 04-10-2011 04:30 PM

Happy Hour

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeyd (Post 287237)
Just returned from my Panama Canal 14 day cruise. They still offer drink cards i.e. for $45 (or $90) you can get $50 in drinks (or $100) but the drinks still cost that same. Only benefit is that you get a $5 ($10) up front cut in price. Ocean bar and Crows Nest happy hour (2 for 1) is still tops.

I have been on several HAL cruises and didn't know there was a happy hour. Are they listed on daily program?

Cate M.

mickeyd 04-12-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catiemor (Post 287295)
I have been on several HAL cruises and didn't know there was a happy hour. Are they listed on daily program?

Cate M.

Yes. It was the first thing that I looked for daily, in addition to the drink of the day.