Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Thumbs up Cocktails/Wine
The last time we cruised on HAL (2007, Alaska, Statendam) we were required to purchase a card in order to drink wine or a bar drink. I think we got a card that had 20 wine hits and a cocktail card that had, maybe, only 10 hits. Is this still the way that they do it on the Statendam, or can you purchase it one at a time?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Administrator

I've never heard of anything like that being a requirement to buy drinks. Was there anything special about your Statendam cruise, such as it being a charter or you were in a large group?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
We just returned from the Zaandam - - there is no requirement for a beverage card. We've been on HAL 5 times since 2000 and have never been required to purchase a card - just order and give the smiling bar tender or server your key card.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmaz View Post
We just returned from the Zaandam - - there is no requirement for a beverage card. We've been on HAL 5 times since 2000 and have never been required to purchase a card - just order and give the smiling bar tender or server your key card.
Again, thanks for updating me on their policy. But, I could not buy a cocktail from the bar unless I had that damn card in 2007...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM
You can buy beverage cards - in fact, I bought one as a gift for my husband. We found it a pain, because he had to carry a second card to use. It might be easier to to pre-purchase an on-board credit - same thing, different name. . . Also, all of the bar/lounge servers carried beverage cards for sale during the entire cruise. Not sure the purpose of that, but, there ya go, I'm not a marketing major. Anyway, when the dollars on the beverage card were used up, we were still able to buy things in the bars and lounges....
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Just returned from my Panama Canal 14 day cruise. They still offer drink cards i.e. for $45 (or $90) you can get $50 in drinks (or $100) but the drinks still cost that same. Only benefit is that you get a $5 ($10) up front cut in price. Ocean bar and Crows Nest happy hour (2 for 1) is still tops.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Default Happy Hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Just returned from my Panama Canal 14 day cruise. They still offer drink cards i.e. for $45 (or $90) you can get $50 in drinks (or $100) but the drinks still cost that same. Only benefit is that you get a $5 ($10) up front cut in price. Ocean bar and Crows Nest happy hour (2 for 1) is still tops.
I have been on several HAL cruises and didn't know there was a happy hour. Are they listed on daily program?

Cate M.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catiemor View Post
I have been on several HAL cruises and didn't know there was a happy hour. Are they listed on daily program?

Cate M.
Yes. It was the first thing that I looked for daily, in addition to the drink of the day.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, beverage, card, cards, champagne, cocktails, cruise, drink, hal, happy, holland, hour, prices, wine, zaandam