Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   Web Site (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/36968-web-site.html)

catiemor 05-04-2011 12:43 PM

Web Site

Tried to log into HAL web site but not able to. Made a phone call and they said because I am using Windows ME that I am out of luck. Basically they said too bad - go and upgrade your computer that no one can help me out.

Rather ticked as I have a cruise booked and can't check out reservation.

Hate beiing forced to upgrade when computer works otherwise just fine.

Cate M.

Cruise Fanatic 05-04-2011 01:44 PM

Perhaps you can use a friends computer or one at the library. On occasion I run into programs that don't run well on my MacBook Pro. Try downloading Firefox and see if that helps.

Dave 05-04-2011 02:40 PM

Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Me 5 years ago, so I don't think it is unreasonable for HAL to no longer configure their website to support outdated operating systems.

Actually I am amazed that someone still uses Me. Is the computer that old too?

catiemor 05-05-2011 06:28 AM

Web Site

Sorry I meant to say Windows XP not ME. My computer is five years old.

Cate M.

Dave 05-05-2011 07:51 AM

Well now, since it is XP I don't understand why you have the access problem. XP is still widely used. Which browser are you using? I am used to encountering websites that do not load correctly on my Macs, and I have to use a different web browser for some places.

wooddon 05-05-2011 12:25 PM

A lot of wb sites will not work under XP. Most programmers are using Window 7 now. We also had to upgrade our computer from XP. This is not unusal.

catiemor 05-05-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wooddon (Post 287828)
A lot of wb sites will not work under XP. Most programmers are using Window 7 now. We also had to upgrade our computer from XP. This is not unusal.

Thanks! Operator at HAL said no one could help me as they use an outside firm for computer work. I use Internet Explorer.

Would love to go shopping for a new Tablet but they keep coming out with something new every time you turn around. I would still like to use my laptop that I have as it works for most of the things I do.

Cate M.

Dave 05-06-2011 01:43 PM

One of the best buys I've ever made was getting an iPad. Surprisingly useful. The iPad 3 will come out later this year if you want to wait. Get one with both 3G and Wi-Fi. You'll be glad you did. When we lost power for several days last week from the tornado outbreak my lifeline was the iPad and 3G signal.

Wheels87 05-07-2011 06:26 AM

Simply download mozilla firefox and you will be fine. I just tried it on Holland America's web site and had no problem. I don't use XP, but that shouldn't matter with that browser.

Good luck,

Brad