Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   Holland America Expands Vegetarian Menu (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/38076-holland-america-expands-vegetarian-menu.html)

Dave 05-02-2012 12:28 PM

Holland America Expands Vegetarian Menu

Eating vegetarian just got a lot more interesting for those cruising with HAL. Press Release

LisaP 06-14-2012 08:16 AM

I'll report back on this after I return from Westerdam next month. I'm looking forward to having more options.

susanmaz 06-14-2012 01:29 PM

Many years ago (10 years to be exact), our tablemates on the Ryndam were vegetarian. Once they let the dining room manager know, he was at our table every night with a "vegetarian" menu for them to chose the next night's meal. . . It was basically a list of vegetarian meal options which didn't change during the week. How far we've come ~ It's good to see.

Hank 07-07-2012 04:46 PM

We salute HA for putting some healthier optons on their menu (and we are not vegetarians). Now, if they would just take a similar postion on smoking and ban it in all indoor areas as well as on passenger balconies.

LisaP 07-08-2012 08:04 PM

I'm back from Westerdam with the promised report on the vegetarian menu. What they don't state in the press release (unless I somehow missed it) is that orders from the separate 22-item vegetarian menu need to be made the night before. This is no different from someone who has, say, a food allergy and needs to review the next evening's menu in advance. This is not a huge problem in and of itself. The problem is that with additional new vegetarian items on the main menu, there might be something that I'd prefer on that one, and I wouldn't know until the following day.

Easy solution, though: Simply ask for the next evening's menu while you are at dinner. If nothing appeals to you, request an item from the separate vegetarian menu. (The separate vegetarian menu remains unchanged throughout the cruise.)

As for the food, it's fabulous. Superb, really. Once I dig out the journal I kept during the cruise, I'll list some of the standouts. I do recall that the baked cheese polenta with mushrooms was wonderful, as was an Indonesian tofu dish I had during lunch one day. The cold soups were also terrific.

Dave 07-08-2012 08:46 PM

The press release did not mention the need to order the day before, and I think that is disappointing. The impression HAL gave was that you could simply ask for the veg menu when seated. I guess it is an evolving thing. I hope so.

Anyway, I am happy that you found a workaround, and that the vegetarian choices were to your liking. I am looking forward to the specifics!

Welcome back from the cruise!

Philiouckz 08-31-2012 04:26 AM

I'm veggie and would like to be served only vegetarian foodstuffs while being on a way to explore the world!! It sounds nice that they offer vegetarian stuffs!