Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Default HAL vs RCI
With the low Euro exchange rate, I see that a 12 night med cruise with HAL is not much more expensive than a 7 night with RCI. Our fascination for HAL keeps growing day by day and we are tempted to cancel our already booked cruise with the Liberty of the seas from Barcelona in july next year and rather go for a HAL cruise.

Question is, will our son enjoy HAL as much as RCI? He is well behaved during dinners and love the evening shows, but during daytime he prefers of course to stay in the kids pool which are great on the RCI ships.

Should we wait a few years until he becomes more self going, or is HAL a good option even for families with small children?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Svein, I've only been on one HAL cruise and it was on the smaller Veendam and a 10 day Baltic cruise at that; but we were surprised by the number of families and many with small children, who seemed to be having a marvelous time. There were areas and activities just for the kids; and I would imagine the larger ships have even more to offer.

I think you know how I feel about Princess--a great value for the money--but I have to admit, HAL was a cut above in everything. I would be inclined to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate and enjoy a truly first class experience.

Rick
Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM
I've been following postings to the HollandAmericaBlog by a family from the Netherlands on the Niew Amsterdam doing the Venice / Greece thing. I was surprised to read that there are 350 children on this trip . . . the most children I've ever seen on a HAL ship was maybe 50 in the Caribbean ~ These Dutch children are older than your son - but seem to enjoy their Club HAL time.... I will also say that most children I've observed on HAL cruises are always such good travelers - regardless of their age. Well behaved at dinner and in the show room and around the pools. You, of course, know your child best - but it seems like the HAL cruise for more days would be a very good deal . . .

Tags
alaska, america, children, compare, cruise, cruises, families, family, hal, holland, kiddie, pool, powered, rci, reviews, vbulletin, veendam