Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM

We are taking the HAL Grand Asia Cruise on 9/24/10 and have questions reference to internet connections. We will be bringing our own computer with wireless capability. Is anyone familiar with "Skype". and how does it operate through HAL internet connection? What is the easiest form of internet connection and is it worth the effort in carrying our own computer?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

All personal computers have to access the internet through the ship's internet connection which means you'll still have to buy internet time from HAL. It is the only form of internet available unless you are in a port where you can get a 3G connection or find a hotspot.

Cellphones can be used and will accrue international roaming rates, but smartphone features can be used depending on the cell phone carrier. In this case the ship doesn't charge anything and all extra fees are billed through your cellphone provider.

I bring a netbook on ships and use it with the ship's wi-fi connection. They will also have an internet cafe with several desktop stations you can use. It's really a personal choice on whether you want to lug a laptop with you. Bottom line is there is no way to get internet on a ship at sea without paying them to use it.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM

We use Skype all the time to talk to the Grandkids. When we tried it on the Volendam, it did not work. The connection speed is just too slow.
Is it worth taking a computer, depends. We check email, but that is about it. As I said the connection speeds are slow. If you send images in your emails, be sure to downsize them. Also you might want to write you emails ahead of time, then sign on to send them. The main reason I take a computer is for my photos, both storages, viewing, and editing.
BTW welcome to Cruises Chat.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I got an early birthday present of a netbook just before our last cruise and took it along. We never used the internet connection on the ship, but used it on shore. Most ports have either a wifi hotspot or a place where it is very cheap to sign on and it is faster than the ship's internet. We used skype to talk to people back home a couple of times, but mostly just a quick e-mail update.
The netbook is small and light to carry so it was no problem to take it with us. Otherwise, we wouldn't bother.

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
access, accrue, america, compter, computer, computers, cruise, holland, internet, personal, ship, sign, skype, wht, wifi