Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Holland America Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/)
-   -   Sundays voyage/virus (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/holland-america-line/460-sundays-voyage-virus.html)

SpoiledRttn 03-03-2009 11:25 PM

Just saw on the news that a ship returned to dock because 100 passengers were sick with the norovirus... just wondering do they reschedule you for another trip, continue on after sanitizing or do you have to have the insurance to get a refund/replacement cruise?

Dave 03-04-2009 07:12 AM

They clean the ship and load up for the next cruise - sometimes it might be delayed a couple hours but that is the usual way it goes. If for some reason the ship was not allowed to board new passengers (typically by a CDC order) then the cruise line would have to either rebook you or provide compensation - without your filing an insurance claim.

However I strongly urge anyone taking a cruise to get trip insurance.

SpoiledRttn 03-04-2009 09:34 AM

Thank you for your answer!

kamper 03-05-2009 01:13 PM

does anyone know what ship this.

Dave 03-05-2009 01:27 PM

It was the HAL Oosterdam on February 27.

It is important to realize the media and a few clowns with anti-cruise websites make a big splash about this type of thing as though it was some horrific plague breaking out.

The truth is the CDC requires cruise ships to report everything while this isn't true for hotels, resorts, restaurants. Don't worry about it.

Jim C. 03-06-2009 08:40 AM

What Dave is saying is that while the report sounds bad -100 people reported to have the norovirus - That's a relatively small outbreak considering the close confines of a cruise ship. If you realize there are 3000 or so people on board (more if you include crew) its not a big percentage. Also realize that the ship reports and treats any guest that goes to the infirmary with stomach problems as a norovirus case whether it truly is or not.

I would be most people would be shocked at the number of people that come down with similar symptoms say at Disney World or a land resort. But those numbers are not known since its only the cruise ships that are forced to track and report the problem.

The cruise lines take an extreme stance of prevention against the virus. Mainly because having a big outbreak causes alarm. When there is an outbreak, extra cleaning and disinfection procedures are taken between cruises. I would not worry much about what the previous cruise had unless it was a much larger percentage of the passengers.

Take precautions - wash your hands more than you would at home, (especially before eating) and use the sanitizer dispensers provided and you should have no problem. In fact if everyone followed those precautions, there would be a lot less cases reported.

mickeyd 03-07-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Take precautions - wash your hands more than you would at home, (especially before eating) and use the sanitizer dispensers provided and you should have no problem. In fact if everyone followed those precautions, there would be a lot less cases reported.
Could not agree more. Whan we cruised Alaska on the MS Statendam we were required to "Purel up" prior to entering the dining room and prior to eating on the Lido buffet. I never used as much Purel during that 7 days than I have during the by prior 60+ years. I got into the habit of taking a shot of Purel whenever I passed a dispensor...hallway, elevator, dining areas etc. It worked as we were as healthy after 7 days as when we started.