Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM

We had such a good time last year we are back again for a February cruise. We booked many months ago and secured the late seating for four. My parents recently decided to join us and booked more recently. They were told they could only have open seating. Do you think I can get this fixed when we get on the ship? It sure would be nice to eat together.Thanks for your help
Old 01-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Call the person that booked your cruise and have them ask if your parents can be "Waitlisted" for the same time as your dining. Also, make sure that all your bookings are cross-referenced. Then when you get on the ship go speak to the Maitre'd as soon as he's available for dining change request.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator

If they can't fix it on the ship as Cruise Fanatic covered, you could try an alternate approach. Give up your late seating and move to the open dining, and request that they reserve a table for your party of 6 at the same time each night....oh, say 8pm.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I do have them wait listed and am not optimistic. Dave if I go the way you have suggested would we get the same table every night? Has anyone just tried the cash approach with the Maitre'd? I was thinking me and Grant could get the job done. Dont want to insult anyone though but more than willing to grease anyone that can the wheels moving.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

I can't say if you'd get the same table every night. All you can do is ask and grease away. It is more likely that things will settle out by embarkation day as far as assigned seatings, and you will have no problem getting everyone placed in the late seating. At this point there is still a lot of flux in dinner seatings. Actually I am surprised to see a February HAL cruise with problems getting second seating. I'd think early seating would be the problem, given HAL's usual demographic for non-family cruise season.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks Dave,
For me having the same wait staff every night is one of the best part of cruising. Having preferences acknowledged is just a great part of a cruise experience. I am going with heavy grease. I only cruise once a year and Its got to be right. Sold out ship probably because its presidents week and this kids are off. I take this week every year and its always jammed. I love how the airfare is so much less the week before and after
Old 01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator

alfred, we're in the same "boat." My husband's a teacher, so we have to vacation during the peak season.

In any case, we were in exactly the same situation on a HAL cruise we took about a year-and-a-half ago. We were confirmed for our preferred fixed dining time but, when my niece and her husband booked a couple of weeks later for the same cruise, they were told that the only availability was in open seating. As Cruise Fanatic mentioned above, we cross-referenced our reservations and planned to talk with the maitre d' after we boarded. It wasn't necessary. Our niece and her family ended up being assigned to our table without us having to do a thing.

I still suggest, just in case, that you plan to make the maitre d' your first stop when he's available for change requests (do not wait until dinner time). You can acknowledge his assistance at the end of the cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, america, cruise, dining, holland, open, parents, presidents, reserving, review, reviews, seating, times, week, westerdam