Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 07:53 AM

We're booked for a late Oct 7 day cruise, and I just recently read a lot of scary reviews regarding the Noro virus aboard Ryndam, and plumbing problems, as well and sewage smells on board. These have me a little concerned. Most of these reviews are several years old. Would love some input from anybody who has sailed on her more recently,like in the last year?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Reviews from even one year ago are pretty much useless for predicting what a future cruise will be like. And it is also a fact that reviews tend to be posted by people from the two ends of the spectrum - either they loved the cruise so much they can't wait to share their enthusiasm, or those with an axe to grind because their entire cruise was ruined because they didn't like the iced tea. Balanced reviews are less often posted.

For a historical perspective, in the 16 years since Ryndam first came into service it's lowest CDC sanitation score was 89 (and that was in 1995) and it's highest score was a 99 last summer. It was inspected on 6/17/10 and received a 98. 100 is exceedingly hard to attain. 85 is passing. Thus I feel safe in saying it is a clean ship.

Norovirus can be hard to remove from a ship, and thus it is common to see the same ship struggling with it for more than one week in a row.

It is also important to note that norovirus has nothing to do with the cleanliness standards of a ship or it's crew, or their handling of food. The virus it most likely introduced by a passenger who boards the ship knowingly ill, or someone who doesn't know it yet, but once aboard they spread the virus by touching surfaces, utensils, etc.

Older ships tend to have occasional sewer-like odors on lower decks. It's just something that comes with aging piping, drains, tanks, etc. I've never been overwhelmed by it.

Don't worry about this stuff. Just make sure you wash your hands frequently with soap and water and don't rely on hand sanitizers. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers don't kill viruses. Those with Benzethonium Chloride and Benzalkonium Chloride do.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM

We sailed aboard the Ryndam 11/09 and had no problems. I think on one of the lower decks there was a bit of a sewer smell, but I believe the ship went to drydock in Jan. or Feb. to correct the problem. We have nothing but gooooood to say about the ship, the crew, food and the ship itself was great. The food was some of the best we,ve had cruising, this was our 3rd on Holland, about 30 total cruises through the years. I think you will have a great cruise, Holland is one of our favorite lines.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 PM

We sailed on the Ryndam on 11/7/10 and were disappointed. We have been on over 30 cruises and this time thought the service and food were under par for Holland America. During the entire week I can only say that I found two meals exceptional. The rest were not worthly of comment. More often than not if you wanted a drink while on the pool deck or elsewhere you had to make a trip to the bar as personal service seemed limited. We also noticed the septic smell and one of our party experienced a toilet overflow during the middle of the night. In addition, some in our group were extremely disappointed in a Holland America tour in Belize and felt it bordered on dangerous. On a positive note the entertainment was fantastic. We would sail with Holland America again but not on the Ryndam.

Closed Thread

Tags
2010, america, bites, bug, carribbean, cruise, december, decks, holland, lower, review, reviews, ryndam, ships, smell