Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 AM

Can you believe that I am now consumed with planning the details of my December cruise!! Air tickets were purchased yesterday so all that is left is the excursions and of course, the wine.
We usually pick up a couple of bottles and carry on before we sail to drink in the room. And we also have champagne ordered in the room for the cast away.
But what about wine at dinner. Last cruise we bought it by the glass but that turned out to be about $7 a glass!!!

Is it true that we can order a bottle at the table and then have the wine steward give it to us by the glass over a few nights? Sounds rude but I don't want to order a bottle and have to share it with the entire table and I only like a glass to help the 4 dinner rolls I will eat go down before the food arrives.

Also, has anyone ordered the wine card through the gifts on line. Looks like a bargain at $41.40 for 10 glasses compared with $7 a glass. Can this be used at dinner?
I must add that I am not a wine connoisseur so house wine is okay for me.

BTW....I am sober while on board. I just love a glass before dinner while getting ready and then a glass with the meal. I would never waste a minute of a cruise drunk or with a hangover. I can do that at home.

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 AM

Can you believe that I am now consumed with planning the details of my December cruise!! Air tickets were purchased yesterday so all that is left is the excursions and of course, the wine.
We usually pick up a couple of bottles and carry on before we sail to drink in the room. And we also have champagne ordered in the room for the cast away.
But what about wine at dinner. Last cruise we bought it by the glass but that turned out to be about $7 a glass!!!

Is it true that we can order a bottle at the table and then have the wine steward give it to us by the glass over a few nights? Sounds rude but I don't want to order a bottle and have to share it with the entire table and I only like a glass to help the 4 dinner rolls I will eat go down before the food arrives.

Also, has anyone ordered the wine card through the gifts on line. Looks like a bargain at $41.40 for 10 glasses compared with $7 a glass. Can this be used at dinner?
I must add that I am not a wine connoisseur so house wine is okay for me.

BTW....I am sober while on board. I just love a glass before dinner while getting ready and then a glass with the meal. I would never waste a minute of a cruise drunk or with a hangover. I can do that at home.

Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 AM
How nice of you to order champagne for the castaway; how do they go about deciding who is going to be cast away?

Seriously, yes, you can buy a bottle at dinner and drink as much or as little as you like. Your waiter will keep it for you and serve it the next night, or whenever you wish.

I almost went for the wine card but we only had four glasses in ten days so it worked out better by the glass. And $7.00 is not bad for a decent wine. Oh, yes, the card is good for dinner.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 PM

HOH, You have it really bad. Good for you!
Hello, My name is Ken and I'm a cruise-holic!

I feel so much better know there are others out there.

Sensible approach to wining and dining.
Happy planning.

Please, Rick tell me I spelled it wrong.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 AM

$41.40 for 10 glasses is a great deal. I usually purchase the bottle since my hubby doesn't like wine the bottle lasts me a few nights. It doesn't surprise me planning now for a December cruise, heck I'm planning for next December.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:38 AM

LOL...........thanks for your understanding.
I am unashamed. I am a cruise-a-holic and planning is part of the fun. Maybe it is a female thing - planning the details so far in advance. I want to get the excursions booked within the next month so I get all of my 1st choices.
Do the married male cruisers on this board take part in the planning of the details (room location, wine arrangements, excursions, dinner service, etc) or do your wives do this?

Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 07-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Hooked-on-HAL:
And we also have champagne ordered in the room for the cast away.

Awww, I misread this. I thought it said stowaway whereby, I would have applied for the position.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 AM

And you would be hired. We need someone to carry our wine on board.

Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

I do all the planning with a little bit of input from my better half at the very beginning of the process. Then she grades me. So far, I've got an "A" average. Then again, like in so many arenas, you're only as good as your last effort!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Hooked-on-HAL:
Do the married male cruisers on this board take part in the planning of the details (room location, wine arrangements, excursions, dinner service, etc) or do your wives do this?

I know I do. This is about the only vacation that I actually enjoy planning. It's always nice to have wine or champagne waiting in the room, and/or a romance package waiting. Also, in addition to the shore excursions, I enjoy reading about the history of the ports. This usually helps jog my memory later, after the numerous complimentary rum punches back to the ship wear off.

Closed Thread

Tags
amseterdam, arangement, cruiseholic, excursions, shore, wine