Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Holland America Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM

When we took our cruise in August/September 2006 I injured my thumb in a steel door on the ship. I was seen by the ship's doctor as they said since it was an injury sustained on the ship it would be covered by the cruise line and not my insurance. X-ray showed, what the doc said, was a possible cyst in my thumb but no fracture. This thumb hurt so bad it reduced me to tears. Here we are 9 months later and it still hurts. I went to my own doc who did an x-ray and he says it is a bone chip. I have emailed Holland-America 3 times asking for help because the doc says the bone chip needs to be removed. No answer yet. Any suggestions. I guess Im going to have to call. I still have a copy of the report from the ships doctor.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM

When we took our cruise in August/September 2006 I injured my thumb in a steel door on the ship. I was seen by the ship's doctor as they said since it was an injury sustained on the ship it would be covered by the cruise line and not my insurance. X-ray showed, what the doc said, was a possible cyst in my thumb but no fracture. This thumb hurt so bad it reduced me to tears. Here we are 9 months later and it still hurts. I went to my own doc who did an x-ray and he says it is a bone chip. I have emailed Holland-America 3 times asking for help because the doc says the bone chip needs to be removed. No answer yet. Any suggestions. I guess Im going to have to call. I still have a copy of the report from the ships doctor.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 PM

I would send a certified letter to their corp office. They will have to sign for it. that should get a response. Enclose your Dr's report and the ships Doctor's report.
Good Luck

Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 AM

Thanks Gary, may just send a copy of my xray as well so they can compare it to the one they took. Thanks for the advise. Will let you know.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Never gonna happen. There is a very strict policy re injuries on board. Read your contract very carefully.

I was injured quite badly when the tread on a treadmill came apart and flipped me off. I sustained a broken shoulder, torn rotator cuff, and dislocated shoulder.

I was taken care of on the ship free of charge. I was taken to an ER when we reached the first port 5 days later. They paid for my airfare home when they were advised I would need to be flown home for emergency surgery.

They were wonderful to me while I was ON BOARD. I was given all the phone numbers of all the pertinent persons in Seattle to contact when I was home. I never heard back from any one of them!

We had to resort to lawyers and believe me that was no fun.
HAL has so worded the contract that they basically are not responsible for anything that may befall you when you are traveling with them.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Words of wisdom from Cruzin' fools. I have to deal with the cruiselines professionally and the previous post is absolutely right. They take wonderful care of you onboard. If you have issues, however major or minor, once you leave the ship you're a former client (NOT a client). Try dealing with their Cust Serv/Guest Relation or whatever they call their Dept that they make you deal with. They might as well call it the Get Lost Dept.

Buy travel insurance (outside, not cruiseline ins.) and pray you never need to use it. If you rely on the cruiselines to do the right thing, you'll be waiting a long time for a result you will be disappointed with. The wonderful treatment they provide during your cruise is not what their corporate office provides when you get home.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread