Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Banned

I have done a lot of public speaking and could become somewhat of an expert on any subject given some study time. Has anyone ever been hired by a cruise line to be a guest lecturer on a cruise? If so, what were the perks provided by the cruise line?
Thanks,

Sodey
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Why would you think a cruise line would contract with a guest lecturer who was "somewhat of an expert" by virtue of doing some Cliff's Notes cramming on a particular topic? It would be willfully misleading the passengers to portray someone as an expert on something when the person is really in the "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express" category. They do look at resumes before letting people do this.

People who would listen to a guest lecturer are most likely people familiar with the topic, and able to spot a flim-flam job in short order.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Dave, I have been to numerous lectures while on ships and I can tell you that many of them are very knowledgable but lack public speaking ability. I wouldn't rely on Cliff notes. I would study the subject extensively and if it involves a particular port, I would even visit before hand and get some photos or whatever as part of my presentation. I have already had a book published and have been intoduced to an audience of about 1,000 people by Ed McMahon when I gave a presentation in LA a number of years ago. I never meant to say, "Hey, I'll study some quick notes and then talk about it for an hour so give me a free cruise". The people in my audience will be glad they attended whatever the topic.

So Dave, do you have information regarding this type of arrangement or not?

Sodey
Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I have already had a book published and have been intoduced to an audience of about 1,000 people by Ed McMahon
My mother once served a cheeseburger deluxe to Paul Newman. I have been a guest on a radio talk show in Guam.

Quote:
The people in my audience will be glad they attended whatever the topic.
Oh, no doubt.

Quote:
So Dave, do you have information regarding this type of arrangement or not?
No, Tom, I don't.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 PM

The people who are guest lecturer's don't discuss the details of either salary or perks with anyone. I think it has something to do with their contract. We ate lunch with one a while back in the dr & he wouldn't say much. He was also the driest lecturer I've heard aboard any ship which became evident by the number of attendees as each day passed. People would rather play ping-pong than sit through one of his talks.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

See Dave ! That's what I'm talking about ! A resume only tells what you know. Not how well you present to a group. I can tell by your comments that you think I'm a little full of myself (or full of something else) but people like a good presentation regarding a special port city (history, commerce, night life, etc...) I could provide that. All I want is a free cruise or two and some perks. How difficult can that be? I'll try and get some info from Regent staff when I 'll report back to you. Who knows, some day Dave, you might be sitting in the audience when all of a sudden they announce my name and then you'll remember all the flack you gave me about hamburgers and stuff.

Sodey
Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Who knows, some day Dave, you might be sitting in the audience
Oh, believe me, if I'm in the audience should your scheme work, you'll know it.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM

I have spoken to many groups and I was a member of my high school and college debate teams and won far more debates than I lost. That being said, I quickly found out that there is a great difference between memorization and learning. Preparing for a debate would be similar to you studying to give a cruise-ship lecture. The only problem is that, odds are, the people that you are lecturing to will not be ignorant of the subject that you are discussing. Without practical experience, you never will have full understanding of a subject. I can read every book in the library of congress about nuclear reactors and still not be able to do Dave's former job. Learning is a product of experience and do not deceive yourself into believing that a book and a google search will make you an expert in any field.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

I think the issue here is whether the speaker could impress the Toastmaster's Club. I have over 30 years experience in nuclear physics and radiation protection, and I've been called an engaging classroom instructor. I sure wouldn't want to conduct lectures about my specialty. But then, I doubt I'd have a huge audience to begin with unless it was a geek cruise.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

I guess I give up on you guys. I wouldn't put myself out as an expert unless I was one. I am always prepared on my subject or I'm not going to present. My original question was what do the lecturers get paid or what perks do they get when they are hired to lecture on a cruise ship. It could be personal finace, history of a particular port we would be stopping at, Finding the best shopping deals, whatever and yes, it is most certainy true that if you read about a particular subject for only 1/2 hour each day for a year, you would be considered a world renowned expert on that particular subject. It's true. In fact, my lecture could be on how to become a cruise ship lecturer. I bet I could get some people to attend that discussion.

Sodey

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, guest, jobs, lecture, lecturer, lecturers, lectures, lecturing, line, lines, norwegian, port, ship, ships