Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Son has been transfered from Bremerton to Norfolk. We will be visiting him in the spring. What are some of the must do things in the area. We have never been on the East Coast so please help us out.

Thanks
Gary

Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Son has been transfered from Bremerton to Norfolk. We will be visiting him in the spring. What are some of the must do things in the area. We have never been on the East Coast so please help us out.

Thanks
Gary

Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Hi Gary,

Carnival has the Victory there briefly. Also, RCCL has Grandeur there from summer thru early fall. Forget Norfolk sight seeing, get on a ship! Just teasing, it's a beautifl area but it's been about 20 years since I was last there so I'm of no help. I have roots there, my family originally settled on the James river several generations ago. I have a picture of a headstone in an old cemetary behind the historical church where George and Martha Washington were married. It's my several greats, grandfather. I have a VERY unusual last name so I believed it when I was told that's him.

Lots of history there, all through the region. It's a great place to visit and would be a great place to live. Hope someone else here can give you more info.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks Neil. For now we are not thinking cruise. I know there has to be allot of history and sights back there. Of course the Grandkids will be the first sights on our list.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 AM

I was stationed in the Air Force at Langley AFB in Hampton for 8 1/2 years. I left the area in 1989. Virginia is one of the most beautiful states. So it will depend on your likes and dislikes. There is a lot of history in Virginia. The Douglas MacArthur museum is right in Norfolk. Granby street in Norfolk is a lively area for restaurants and bars, as is The Waterside. You are not far from Virginia Beach. The dogwoods and azaelas will be beautiful in the spring so you might want to see the Norfolk Botanical gardens. I'm sure your son will show you around the base, but you can take a boat tour past aircraft carriers, nuclear submarines, and guided missile carriers. There is the National Maritime museum in Norfolk. About an 1 1/2 hours North is Yorktown, Jamestown, and Colonial Williamsburg. There is so much to see and do you won't have enough time to do it all. Check out this for more information on the Norfolk area. Now you've made me want to take a trip to Virginia. I still have Air Force friends in the area, and a brother-in-law up by Williamsburg.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 PM
We just apent a day in Norfolk on our Canada New England cruise. The waterfront is great for walking around. We spent a fair bit of time at the naval museum and tour of the battleship Wisconsin which was right next to the cruise terminal. The Douglas McArthur museum is also interesting, but we got there fairly late and didn't have a chance to see much of it. Those two attractions alone could take up two afternoons.

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Thanks all!! Sounds like there is plenty to do in the area. The Gardens and the ship yards sound very nice.
Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

quote:
I was stationed in the Air Force at Langley AFB in Hampton for 8 1/2 years. I left the area in 1989.

I was in the Navy in the early 80's, and lived in a townhouse just outside the Langley gate on King Street! I was there from 82 until my discharge in 84. Lived across the street from the 7-11 and a bar called T Bears Too. We did our shopping at the commissary on Langley. Isn't it odd how these things play out? We may have crossed paths in Hampton or on the base, and here we are years later on the same forum.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
I was stationed in the Air Force at Langley AFB in Hampton for 8 1/2 years. I left the area in 1989.

I was in the Navy in the early 80's, and lived in a townhouse just outside the Langley gate on King Street! I was there from 82 until my discharge in 84. Lived across the street from the 7-11 and a bar called T Bears Too. We did our shopping at the commissary on Langley. Isn't it odd how these things play out? We may have crossed paths in Hampton or on the base, and here we are years later on the same forum.

Was there a really good tiny Mexican restaurant outside the gate when you were there?

Closed Thread